What's on the AP English Literature Exam

What’s on the AP English Literature Exam? [Infographic]

AP tests are exams designed to measure a person’s grasp of a particular subject area. Passing one of these exams certifies that you have achieved a level of learning commensurate with that of a student who has passed college classes on the subject. If you’re in high school and are preparing for college, Advanced Placement (AP) courses are a great way to go with earning college credit while still being in high school.

The AP English Literature exam focuses on literary elements such as a work’s structure, style, and themes, as well as the use of figurative language, imagery, symbolism, and tone.

Students who wish to take the AP exam should expect to pay a $92 fee and must score a 3 on the exam to be considered as passing. Scores on the AP exam range from 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest score.

What’s on the AP English Literature Exam

What's on the AP English Literature

The AP English Literature exam consists of 52 multiple-choice questions that account for 45% of the exam. The AP exam also includes a free-response section with 3 questions total. The free-response section counts for the remaining 55% of the exam.

The questions on the multiple-choice section include excerpts from several published works of drama, poetry, or prose fiction. Each excerpt is accompanied by several multiple-choice questions or prompts.

AP English Language & English Literature Secrets Study Guide
AP English Language & English Literature Secrets Study Guide

The free-response section contains only 3 questions that require a literary analysis of a given poem, a literary analysis of a given passage of prose fiction, and an analysis that examines a specific concept, issue, or element in a work of literary merit selected by the student.

Published by

Jay Willis

Jay Willis joined Mometrix as Vice President of Sales in 2009, and has developed several key strategic relationships that have enhanced the distribution of Mometrix products. With nearly 20 years of sales experience in the publishing industry, his dedication to providing the highest quality experience for customers, coupled with his sales and marketing expertise, has resulted in significant growth of the Institutional Sales division. Learn more

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


*