What's on the AP English Language Exam

What’s on the AP English Language Exam [Infographic]

AP tests are exams designed to measure a person’s grasp of a particular subject area. Passing one of these exams certifies that you have achieved a level of learning commensurate with that of a student who has passed college classes in the subject. If you’re in high school and are preparing for college, Advanced Placement (AP) courses are a great way to go with earning college credit while still being in high school.

The AP English Language exam focuses on reading, analysis, and writing about imaginative literature such as fiction, poetry, and drama from various periods. Students who wish to take the AP exam should expect to pay a $92 fee and must score a 3 on the exam to be considered as passing. Scores on the AP exam range from 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest score.

What's on the AP English Language

What’s on the AP English Language Exam

AP English Language Secrets Study Guide
AP English Language Secrets Study Guide

The AP English Language exam consists of 52 multiple-choice questions that account for 45% of the exam. The AP exam also includes a free-response section with 3 questions total which includes a 15 minute reading period. The free-response section counts for the remaining 55% of the exam.

The questions on the multiple-choice section will test the student’s ability to read closely and analyze the rhetoric of prose passages.

The free-response section tests the student’s skill in composition and requires close reading, thoughtful rhetorical analysis, and purposeful argumentation. It also includes a synthesis prompt that tests the student’s ability to effectively compose an argument of their own by combining and citing supplied sources.

Published by

Jay Willis

Jay Willis joined Mometrix as Vice President of Sales in 2009, and has developed several key strategic relationships that have enhanced the distribution of Mometrix products. With nearly 20 years of sales experience in the publishing industry, his dedication to providing the highest quality experience for customers, coupled with his sales and marketing expertise, has resulted in significant growth of the Institutional Sales division. Learn more