– The fee to take the MTEL Visual Arts Exam is $139.
– The qualified, or passing score, is 240.
The Massachusetts Test for Educator Licensure, or the MTEL, is a required exam for aspiring educators in Massachusetts. The MTEL is a series of exams ranging from Communication and Literacy Skills tests, Vocational Literacy Skills, Adult Basic Education, and PreKindergarten to grade 12 subject tests.
The MTEL exams are used to measure a candidate’s knowledge in relation to the exam that they are taking. The exams are used to determine if the candidate has the required level of knowledge and skills that are needed to become an educator in Massachusetts public schools.
The MTEL Visual Arts exam is a computer-based exam that contains 100 multiple-choice questions and 2 open-response assignments. You are given 4 hours to complete the exam. The fee to take the MTEL exam is $139.
The MTEL Visual Arts exam contains 5 subareas:
- Creating Works of Visual Art
- Visual Art in Context
- Interpretation, Analysis, and Evaluation of Art
- Visual Art and Other Disciplines
- Integration of Knowledge and Understanding
The Creating Works of Visual Art subarea is 30% of the MTEL Visual Arts exam. Within this area, you’ll be asked about your understanding in:
• Understanding the elements of art and principles of design and their use in works of art.
• Understanding the tools, materials, techniques, methods, processes, and technologies employed in visual art and design.
• Understanding the thinking strategies employed in creating works of art.
• Understanding artistic development in children and adolescents.
The Visual Art in Context subarea is 20% of the exam and covers your understanding in:
• Understanding the connections among art, history, and culture.
• Understanding artworks from Africa, Asia, Central America, Europe, the Middle East, North American, Oceania, and South America from ancient times through the present.
The Interpretation, Analysis, and Evaluation of Art makes up 20% of the MTEL Visual Arts exam. In this section, you’ll be given questions over:
• Understanding visual art as a form of communication.
• Understanding major functions, purposes, theories, and philosophies of art.
• Understanding the basic principles of art criticism: description, analysis, interpretation, and evaluation of works of visual art.
The Visual Art and Other Disciplines subarea makes up only 10% of the exam and gives questions regarding:
• Understanding relationships between the visual arts and other art forms.
• Understanding relationships between the visual arts and other disciplines in the curriculum.
The Integration of Knowledge and Understanding subarea accounts for the remaining 20% of the exam. In this subarea, you’ll be required to prepare a written regarding one or more of these areas:
• Creating works of visual art
• Visual art in context
• Evaluation of art
• Visual art and other disciplines
MTEL Visual Arts FAQ
How long does it take to complete the MTEL Visual Arts exam?
You are given 4 hours to complete the MTEL Visual Arts exam. You are also given an additional 15 minutes for a tutorial and nondisclosure agreement.
How much is it to take the MTEL exam?
The fee to take the MTEL exam is $139.
How many questions are on the MTEL Visual Arts exam?
There are 100 multiple-choice questions on the MTEL Visual Arts exam.
How soon can I retake the Visual Arts exam?
If you choose to retake the Visual Arts exam, you are required to wait 45 days from your previous test date.