Praxis Core Practice Test
Welcome to the Praxis Core practice test page! The Praxis Core tests are comprehensive assessments that have been developed for individuals who are pursuing a career in education.
Click “Start Test” below to take a free Praxis Core practice test!
On this page:
Praxis Core Practice Tests by Subject
If you need some extra practice in a specific subject, click one of the subjects below to get started on a subject-specific Praxis Core practice test.
Test Outline Overview
There are three Praxis Core tests: Reading, Mathematics, and Writing. There are 154 questions in total, including two essays, and it will take a total of 5 hours to complete all three tests.
Check Out Mometrix's Praxis Study Guide
Get practice questions, video tutorials, and detailed study lessonsGet Your Study Guide
How to Study for the Praxis Core Exam
How to Study Effectively
Your success on Praxis Core test day depends not only on how many hours you put into preparing but also on whether you prepared the right way. It’s good to check along the way to see whether your studying is paying off. One of the most effective ways to do this is by taking Praxis Core practice tests to evaluate your progress. Practice tests are useful because they show exactly where you need to improve. Every time you take a free Praxis Core exam practice test, pay special attention to these three groups of questions:
- The questions you got wrong
- The ones you had to guess on, even if you guessed right
- The ones you found difficult or slow to work through
This will show you exactly what your weak areas are and where you need to devote more study time. Ask yourself why each of these questions gave you trouble. Was it because you didn’t understand the material? Was it because you didn’t remember the vocabulary? Do you need more repetitions on this type of question to build speed and confidence? Dig into those questions and figure out how you can strengthen your weak areas as you go back to review the material.
Additionally, many Praxis Core practice tests have a section explaining the answer choices. It can be tempting to read the explanation and think that you now have a good understanding of the concept. However, an explanation likely only covers part of the question’s broader context. Even if the explanation makes sense, go back and investigate every concept related to the question until you’re positive you have a thorough understanding.
Comprehend Each Topic
As you go along, keep in mind that the Praxis Core practice test is just that: practice. Memorizing these questions and answers will not be very helpful on the actual test because it is unlikely to have any of the same exact questions. If you only know the right answers to the sample questions, you won’t be prepared for the real thing. Study the concepts until you understand them fully, and then you’ll be able to answer any question that shows up on the test.
Strategy for Praxis Core Practice
When you’re ready to start taking practice tests, follow this strategy:
- Remove Limitations. Take the first test with no time constraints and with your notes and Praxis Core study guide handy. Take your time and focus on applying the strategies you’ve learned.
- Time Yourself. Take the second practice test “open book” as well, but set a timer and practice pacing yourself to finish in time.
- Simulate Test Day. Take any other practice tests as if it were test day. Set a timer and put away your study materials. Sit at a table or desk in a quiet room, imagine yourself at the testing center, and answer questions as quickly and accurately as possible.
- Keep Practicing. Keep taking practice tests on a regular basis until you run out of practice tests or it’s time for the actual test. Your mind will be ready for the schedule and stress of test day, and you’ll be able to focus on recalling the material you’ve learned.
Check Out Mometrix's Praxis Flashcards
Get complex subjects broken down into easily understandable conceptsGet Your Flashcards
Praxis Core Online Prep Course
If you want to be fully prepared, Mometrix offers an online Praxis Core Prep Course. The course is designed to provide you with any and every resource you might want while studying. The Praxis Core Course includes:
- 77 Lessons Covering all the Topics
- 700+ Praxis Core Practice Questions
- Over 240 Video Tutorials
- More than 650 Electronic Flashcards
- Money-back Guarantee
- Free Mobile Access
- and More!
The Praxis Core Prep Course is designed to help any learner get everything they need to prepare for their Praxis Core tests. Click below to check it out!
How long is the Praxis Core combined?
If you choose to take all three Praxis Core tests together, it will take about 5 hours in total.
How many questions are on the Praxis Core?
The combined total of questions for all three tests is 154:
- Reading: 56 questions
- Writing: 42 questions
- Mathematics: 56 questions
How long is each Praxis Core test?
- Reading: 85 minutes
- Writing: 100 minutes
- Mathematics: 90 minutes
Is it hard to pass the Praxis Core?
The Praxis Core tests are not considered to be very difficult, especially if you study adequately beforehand.
How much does the Praxis Core cost?
The fee for each test is $90. If you take all three tests at once, the fee is $150.
How do you pass the Praxis Core?
Colleges choose their own passing score, so there is no set score that will guarantee you pass or fail.