– Six Sigma’s most common methodology is its problem-solving D-M-A-I-C framework. D-M-A-I-C stands for Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve and Control.
– The Six Sigma Black Belt certification generally takes between 1 to 3 months to study for and complete.
– Six sigma performance means lesser than or equal to 3.4 defects per million opportunities (DPMO).
Six Sigma is a set of methods and tools that help improve business process and performance. Six Sigma is a type of methodology that is used in project management that helps reduce defects, ensures product quality, boosts morale, and increase profits.
There are numerous organizations that use Six Sigma in their own way to help perfect their organization.Six Sigma is widely used with IT, the military, finance, and healthcare.
A Six Sigma certification shows employers that you have a set of skills and knowledge that is based around one of the Six Sigma bodies of knowledge and can offer different advantages to you and the company.
Six Sigma Black Belt Certification
Those who are Six Sigma Black Belt certified are project managers. They lead projects full-time and their main focus is on statistical analysis using accepted analytical tools and the correct execution of the Six Sigma methodologies.
These Six Sigma Black Belt project leaders guide other employees towards bringing value to the process and are usually the ones to mentor other Belts including performing training sessions. Those who are Six Sigma Black Belt certified must know how to meet deadlines, increase overall value, and improve efficiency while encouraging and leading other employees to do the same. They can also explain the Six Sigma philosophies and principles.
The Six Sigma Black Belt certification exam consists of 165 questions that must be completed in 4.5 hours. Out of those 165 questions, 15 are unscored questions. The exam is composed of both multiple-choice and true/false questions.
You will be asked questions regarding your knowledge of different topics such as the importance of strategic planning for Six Sigma projects and identify the elements that are necessary for a successful team.
To be able to take the Six Sigma Black Belt certification exam, you are required:
• to have completed two projects with a signed affidavit that fall within the Six Sigma methodologies such as manufacturing product defect reduction or reduced manufacturing machine setup time.
• 3 years of work experience in one or more areas of the Six Sigma Body of Knowledge. Your work experience must be a full-time paid position.
• You are not required to be a Certified Six Sigma Green Belt to be able to take the Six Sigma Black Belt Certification exam.
Six Sigma Green Belt Certification
Those who have the Six Sigma Green Belt certification work part-time on Six Sigma projects. They may work full-time on different projects or on a complete business process, they will only spend 20-50% of their time to the Six Sigma project itself.
Individuals who have the Green Belt exam are valuable to their project managers because they have a comprehensive understanding of the Six Sigma methodology and its tools. They also have expertise in functional knowledge and how to bring improvements to a project. Certified Six Sigma Green Belts help team members collect and organize data for the project.
The Six Sigma Green Belt certification exam contains 110 questions, 10 of which are unscored, and takes 4.5 hours to complete. You will be given questions that will test your knowledge of the different body of knowledge topics of Six Sigma.
You will be given questions regarding project selection such as what process and what factors should be considered in using the Six Sigma methodology and explain why organizations use Six Sigma and how they apply the philosophy.
To be able to sit for the Six Sigma Green Belt Certification exam, you are required:
• to have worked full-time and paid for at least three years in one or more areas of the Six Sigma Green Belt Body of Knowledge
• to have the knowledge to analyze and solve quality problems that are involved with Six Sigma or other quality improvement projects
• must have participated in a project are involved in quality improvement projects.
Six Sigma Yellow Belt Certification
Those who are Six Sigma Yellow Belt certified are usually entry-level employees who provide a small role in developing foundational knowledge. Six Sigma Yellow Belts understand the different methods that are used to reduce costs, streamline business processes, and increase revenue.
They support projects that are led by Green Belts or Black Belts and assist Green or Black belts in data collection, analysis, and process mapping. They know how to implement tools and practices that help achieve cost reduction and quality improvement. They participate as a project team member.
The Yellow Belt Certification exam consists of 85 questions, 10 of those questions are unscored. The exam takes 2.5 hours to complete. You will be tested over your knowledge of the different body of knowledge areas of Six Sigma.
Some of the questions may require you to describe the purpose of Six Sigma along with its methodology and its evolution from quality. You may also be asked to describe how projects are identified and selected as suitable for a Six Sigma project.
There are no education or experience requirements to become Six Sigma Yellow Belt certified. You only need to have a small role, interest, or need to develop the foundational knowledge of Six Sigma.
If you need more information about the Six Sigma Certifications, visit the IASSC website: https://www.iassc.org/