TExES Core Subjects EC-6 Practice Test (391)
If you are interested in becoming an entry-level educator within the Texas public school system, you want to consider taking the TExES Core Subjects EC-6 exam. The TExES Core Subjects assessment evaluates the knowledge and skills that are necessary to teach from early childhood to grade 6 in Texas public schools. Administered by Texas Educator Certification Examination Program, the TExES Core Subjects test follows the guidelines of the current educator standards.
The TExES Core Subjects exam is divided into the following tests:
- English Language Arts and Reading
- Social Studies
- Fine Arts, Health, and Physical Education
English Language Arts and Reading
This section makes up 21.5% of the TExES Core Subjects exam, with 45 questions. Candidates have 70 minutes to complete this subject test. The English Language Arts and Reading test assesses if a candidate is competent in the following areas:
- Oral Language
- Phonological and Phonemic Awareness
- Alphabetic Principle
- Literacy Development and Practice
- Word Analysis and Decoding
- Reading Fluency
- Reading Comprehension
- Development of Written Communication
- Writing Conventions
- Assessment and Instruction of Developing Literacy
- Research and Inquiry Skills
- Viewing and Representing
Check Out Mometrix's TExES Study Guide
Get practice questions, video tutorials, and detailed study lessonsGet Your Study Guide
The Mathematics test makes up 19% of the TExES Core Subjects exam, with 40 questions. Candidates have 70 minutes to complete this portion of the exam. The Mathematics test requires candidates to demonstrate competency in the following areas:
- Number Concepts
- Patterns and Algebra
- Geometry and Measurement
- Probability and Statistics
- Mathematical Processes
- Mathematical Perspectives
- Mathematical Learning and Instruction
- Mathematical Assessment
- Professional Development
The Social Studies test is 19% of the TExES Core Subjects exam, with 40 questions. Candidates have 50 minutes to complete this portion of the assessment. The Social Studies test evaluates candidates’ skills and knowledge in the following areas:
- Assessment of Comprehensive Knowledge
- Integration of Various Disciplines
- Assessment of Efficacy
- Science, Technology, and Society
Check Out Mometrix's TExES Flashcards
Get complex subjects broken down into easily understandable conceptsGet Your Flashcards
The Science test makes up 21.5% of the TExES Core Subjects exam, with 45 questions. Candidates have 55 minutes to complete this portion of the assessment. The Science test assesses candidates’ foundational knowledge and practices in the following areas:
- Classroom Management
- Equipment and Technology
- Scientific Inquiry
- Theoretical and Practical Knowledge
- Appropriate Assessment Practices
- History and Nature of Science
- Scientific Influence on Society
- Knowledge of Physical Science
- Knowledge of Life Science
- Knowledge of Earth and Space Science
- Knowledge of Common Concepts and Processes
Fine Arts, Health, and Physical Education
The Fine Arts, Health, and Physical Education test is 19% of the TExES Core Subjects exam, with 40 questions. Candidates have 35 minutes to complete this section of the assessment. The Fine Arts, Health, and Physical Education test require candidates to demonstrate competency in the following areas:
- Development of Ideas
- Techniques for Personal and Creative Expression
- Student Appreciation of Art History and Diverse Cultures
- Analyzing, Interpreting, and Evaluating Works of Art
- Implementation of Age-appropriate Art Instruction
- Musical Perception and Performance
- Ability to Sing and to Play a Musical Instrument
- Music Notation
- Creating and Arranging Music
- Music History
- Ability to Evaluate Compositions, Performances, and Experiences
- Implementing Effective Music Instruction
- Management and Discipline Strategies
- Understanding Student Assessment
- Professional Responsibilities and Interactions
- Relationship between Health and Behavior
- Concepts and Purposes of Health Education
- Effective School Health Instruction
- Effects of School Health Instruction
- Movement Skills
- Principles of a Healthy Lifestyle
- Creating and Managing a Productive Learning Environment
- Knowledge of How Students Learn
- Providing Equitable and Appropriate Instruction and Communication
- Using Developmentally Appropriate Instruction and Communication
- Using Formal and Informal Assessment
- Evaluating the Effects of Your Actions
- Legal Issues and Responsibilities
- Planning and Implementing Effective Theatre Instruction and Assessment
- Creating, Utilizing, and/or Performing Dramatic Material
- Producing and Directing
- Design and Technical Theatre
- Theatre from Different Cultures and Historical Periods
- Interrelationship between Theatre and Other Disciplines
Online TExES Core EC-6 (391) Prep Course
If you want to be fully prepared, Mometrix offers an online TExES Core EC-6 (391) Prep Course. The course is designed to provide you with any and every resource you might want while studying. The TExES Core EC-6 (391) Course includes:
- Review Lessons Covering Every Topic
- 600+ TExES Core EC-6 (391) Practice Questions
- More than 1,300 Electronic Flashcards
- Over 360 Instructional Videos
- Money-back Guarantee
- Free Mobile Access
- and More!
The TExES Core EC-6 (391) Prep Course is designed to help any learner get everything they need to prepare for their TExES Core EC-6 (391) exam; click below to check it out.
TExES Core Subjects EC-6 FAQs
How do I register for the TExES Core Subjects EC-6 exam?
You can register for this exam on the Texas Educator Certification Examination Program website or by phone.
How much is the TExES Core Subjects EC-6 exam?
The fee for the total exam is $116. If you wish to take a subject exam separately, the cost is $58.
Who offers the TExES Core Subjects EC-6 exam?
The Texas Educator Certification Examination Program offers this exam.
How long is the TExES Core Subjects EC-6 exam?
The TExES Core Subjects exam is 5 hours, with 210 multiple-choice questions.
Can you use a calculator?
There will be an online scientific calculator, and you are specifically asked to not bring your own calculator.
What is a passing score?
The score range is 100-300, and 240 is the minimum passing score for each subject exam.
What to expect on test day
Candidates can take the exam at any qualifying testing locations. Some universities and colleges offer the exam on campus. Below you will find some tips for test day:
- You must arrive at the testing center before your scheduled test time. If you are late, your test will be forfeited.
- Bring your admission ticket to the testing location. You can find this ticket on your account on the Texas Educator Certification Examination Program website.
- Bring an unexpired identification document(s) with your name, photograph, and signature.
- There is an on-screen calculator, so please don’t bring your own.
- You can access your test scores on your Texas Educator Certification Examination Program testing account.
How to prepare for the TExES Core Subjects EC-6
Looking for an all-in-one study guide for the TExES Core Subjects exam? The Mometrix TExES Study Guide includes easy-to-read explanations for the most critical concepts on the exam. You can also look forward to an assessment explanation and test-taking strategies that are sure to ease your test anxiety. For candidates seeking more resources, the Mometrix TExES Flashcards are portable and include in-depth explanations of what you need to know for the big day! These flashcards are an excellent option for test-takers who might not have much time to study. Mometrix also offers a comprehensive online course that includes lessons, video reviews, practice tests, and more.
The TExES is an excellent opportunity to advance your career in education. We look forward to helping you earn the results you want. Best of luck!
TExES Core Subjects EC-6 Study Guide
Mometrix Academy is a completely free resource provided by Mometrix Test Preparation. If you find benefit from our efforts here, check out our premium quality TExES Core Subjects EC-6 study guide or online course to take your studying to the next level. Just click the links below. Your purchase also helps us make even more great, free content for test-takers.