TExES Core Subjects EC-6 Practice Test (291)
If you are interested in becoming an entry-level educator within the Texas public school system, you want to consider taking the TExES Core Subjects EC- 6 exam. The TExES Core Subjects assessment evaluates the knowledge and skills that are necessary to teach from early childhood to grade 6 in Texas public schools. Administered by Texas Educator Certification Examination Program, the TExES Core Subjects test follows the guidelines of the current educator standards.
The TExES Core Subjects exam is divided into the following tests:
- English Language Arts, Reading, and the Science of Teaching Reading
- Social Studies
- Fine Arts, Health, and Physical Education
English Language Arts, Reading, and the Science of Teaching Reading
This section makes up 28% of the TExES Core Subjects exam, with 75 questions. Candidates have 75 minutes to complete this subject test. The English Language Arts, Reading, and the Science of Teaching Reading test assesses if a candidate is competent in the following areas:
- Oral Language
- Phonological and Phonemic Awareness
- Alphabetic Principle
- Literacy Development
- Word Analysis and Identification Skills
- Fluency Reading
- Reading Comprehension and Applications
- Vocabulary Development
- Reading, Inquiry, and Research
- Writing Conventions
- Written Communication
- Viewing and Representing
- Assessment of Developing Literacy
The Mathematics test makes up 18% of the TExES Core Subjects exam, with 47 questions. Candidates have 60 minutes to complete this portion of the exam. The Mathematics test requires candidates to demonstrate competency in the following areas:
- Mathematics Instruction
- Number Concepts and Operations
- Patterns and Algebra
- Geometry and Measurement
- Probability and Statistics
- Mathematical Processes
The Social Studies test is 16% of the TExES Core Subjects exam, with 41 questions. Candidates have 35 minutes to complete this portion of the assessment. The Social Studies test evaluates candidates’ skills and knowledge in the following areas:
- Social Science Instruction
- Geography and Culture
- Government and Citizenship
TExES Core Subjects EC-6 (291) Practice Test
The Science test makes up 19% of the TExES Core Subjects exam, with 52 questions. Candidates have 40 minutes to complete this portion of the assessment. The Science test assesses candidates’ foundational knowledge and practices in the following areas:
- Lab Processes, Equipment, and Safety
- History and Nature of Science
- Impact on Science
- Concepts and Processes
- Students as Learners and Science Instruction
- Science Assessment
- Forces and Motion
- Physical and Chemical Properties
- Energy and Interactions
- Energy Transformations and Conservation
- Structure and Function of Living Things
- Reproduction and the Mechanisms of Heredity
- Adaptions and Evolution
- Organisms and the Environment
- Structure and Function of Earth Systems
- Cycles in Earth Systems
- Energy in Weather and Climate
- Solar System and the Universe
Fine Arts, Health, and Physical Education
The Fine Arts, Health, and Physical Education test is 19% of the TExES Core Subjects exam, with 52 questions. Candidates have 40 minutes to complete this section of the assessment. The Fine Arts, Health, and Physical Education test require candidates to demonstrate competency in the following areas:
- Visual Arts
- Physical Education
TExES Core Subjects EC-6 FAQS
How do I register for the TExES Core Subjects EC-6 exam?
You can register for this exam on the Texas Educator Certification Examination Program website or by phone.
How much is the TExES Core Subjects EC-6 exam?
The fee is $131.
Who offers the TExES Core Subjects EC-6 exam?
The Texas Educator Certification Examination Program offers this exam.
How long is the TExES Core Subjects EC-6 exam?
The TExES Core Subjects exam is 5 hours, with 267 multiple-choice questions.
Can you use a calculator?
There will be an online scientific calculator. Please don’t bring your own calculator.
What is a passing score?
The score range is 100-300, where 240 is the minimum passing score.
What to expect on test day
Candidates can take the exam at any qualifying testing locations. Some universities and colleges offer the exam on campus. Below you will find some tips for test day:
- You must arrive at the testing center before your scheduled test time. If you are late, your test will be forfeited.
- Bring your admission ticket to the testing location. You can find this ticket on your account on the Texas Educator Certification Examination Program website.
- Bring an unexpired identification document(s) with your name, photograph, and signature.
- There is an on-screen calculator so please don’t bring your own.
- You can access your test scores on your Texas Educator Certification Examination Program testing account.
The TExES Core Subjects is a computer-based exam with 267 multiple-choice questions. Candidates have 5 hours to complete the exam.
How to prepare for the TExES Core Subjects EC-6
Looking for an all-in-one study guide for the TExES Core Subjects exam? The Mometrix TExES Study Guide includes easy-to-read explanations for the most critical concepts on the exam. You can also look forward to an assessment explanation and test-taking strategies that are sure to ease your test anxiety. For candidates seeking more resources, the Mometrix TExES Flashcards are portable and include in-depth explanations of what you need to know for the big day! These flashcards are an excellent option for test-takers who might not have much time to study. The Mometrix TExES study guide and flash cards cover all 5 subtests.
The TExES is an excellent opportunity to advance your career in education. We look forward to helping you earn the results you want. Best of luck!
TExES Core Subjects EC-6 Study Guide
Mometrix Academy is a completely free resource provided by Mometrix Test Preparation. If you find benefit from our efforts here, check out our premium quality TExES Core Subjects EC-6 study guide to take your studying to the next level. Just click the TExES Core Subjects EC-6 study guide link below. Your purchase also helps us make even more great, free content for test-takers.