NYSTCE Assessment of Teaching Assistant Skills (ATAS) Practice Test
Even the best teacher may need someone to help them in the classroom. Teaching assistants provide invaluable assistance working with students under the supervision of a certified teacher. They must be well versed in principles of reading, writing, math, and instructional support.
But before teaching assistants enter the classroom, they must pass the New York State Teacher Certification Examinations (NYSTCE) Assessment of Teaching Assistant Skills (ATAS) (095) Test. The exam assesses a candidate’s strength in several areas. This guide contains two important pieces of information — a test overview and information on excellent study materials that can help you prepare.
NYSTCE ATAS Online Prep Course
If you want to be fully prepared, Mometrix offers an online NYSTCE ATAS Prep Course. The course is designed to provide you with any and every resource you might want while studying. The NYSTCE ATAS Course includes:
- 54 Lessons Covering all the Topics
- 500+ NYSTCE ATAS Practice Questions
- Over 100 Video Tutorials
- More than 400 Electronic Flashcards
- Money-back Guarantee
- Free Mobile Access
- and More!
The NYSTCE ATAS Prep Course is designed to help any learner get everything they need to prepare for their NYSTCE ATAS exam; click below to check it out.
How many questions are on the NYSTCE Assessment of Teaching Assistant Skills (ATAS) (095) test?
There are 100 questions on this computer-based exam.
How long do I have to complete the exam?
Candidates have three hours to finish the test.
What is the test passing score?
The passing score is 220.
How much is the test fee?
Candidates pay a $71 exam fee.
When can I take the NYSTCE Assessment of Teaching Assistant Skills (ATAS) (095) Test?
The test is available Monday through Saturday, year-round. Test centers are closed on certain holidays.
Where are the test centers located?
Test centers, which are operated by a private testing company, are located throughout New York State and the country.
What’s on the test?
The test contains four areas:
- Reading contains:
- Questions of vocabulary and understanding the meaning of words. That includes synonyms and antonyms, understanding homophones (their/there, to/too), and how they’re misused.
- Understanding a reading passage’s main idea. Identifying a passage’s main idea and topic sentence are among the topics covered here.
- Idea sequences in a reading passage involves examining a passage to identify the order of events, identifying cause-and-effect relationships, and looking at a set of instructions and organizing them into a proper sequence
- Interpreting information, both textual and graphical, involves looking at various graphics (tables, line charts, bar graphs, etc.) and interpreting them.
- Writing includes:
- Understanding verbs and how to use them. Subject-verb agreement, verb tense, and verb tense consistency are all covered here.
- Understanding pronouns and modifiers and how to use them. Pronoun and antecedent agreement, using possessive, relative and demonstrative pronouns, and comparative and superlative modifier use are all covered.
- Sentence structure and punctuation. This section contains understanding the differences between sentence fragments and complete sentences, run-on and correctly divided sentences, and punctuation that’s correct and incorrect.
- Proper capitalization and spelling. Teachers will be assessed on the proper use of standard capitalization at the beginning of a sentence, in proper words, and in titles.
- Mathematics covers:
- Number concepts assess the ability to round numbers and understand weights and measures in different units like feet and inches.
- Addition and subtraction. These questions involve adding and subtracting whole numbers. This area covers using addition and subtraction to help solve problems in everyday life.
- Multiplication and division. This area covers the ability to multiply and divide whole numbers.
- Fractions, decimals, and percents. This area involves solving problems in all three of those categories.
- Instructional Support covers:
- Classroom instruction in reading. This section includes using resources, like dictionaries and other reading materials to support reading, information gathering on a student’s reading progress, and helping students comprehend what they read.
- Classroom instruction in writing. Expect questions that cover drafting, editing, and proofreading written work; sharpening writing focus; and material, like grammar books to support writing.
- Classroom instruction in math. This area covers math by relating it to everyday situations, identifying math errors and correcting them, resources to support math learning, and information gathering on student progress.
When will my test results be released?
Candidates should receive their test results roughly two to four weeks after taking the exam.
When should I arrive at the test center to take the NYSTCE Assessment of Teaching Assistant Skills (ATAS) (095) Test?
Please arrive at least 15 minutes ahead of your testing time.
What items are prohibited in the test room?
Watches, wallets, mobile phones, electronic devices and certain items of clothing are all prohibited. They must be placed in a locker at the test center.
Will I need to show identification at the test center?
Yes. Candidates must show one piece of government-issued identification that has a photo and a signature. A driver’s license and passport are examples of acceptable forms of ID.
I need study materials to help me prepare for this exam. Which ones should I get?
Mometrix has outstanding study materials. Our study guide contains test-taking tips and strategies written by professionals in the test preparation industry. Our study plan helps you prepare for the exam and our study tips help you avoid common test-taking pitfalls. You can take our flashcards wherever you go and study at any time of the day. These materials will put you on the path to passing the NYSTCE Assessment of Teaching Assistant Skills (ATAS) (095) Test.
NYSTCE Assessment of Teaching Assistant Skills (ATAS) Study Guide
Mometrix Academy is a completely free ATAS test resource provided by Mometrix Test Preparation. If you find benefit from our efforts here, check out our premium quality NYSTCE Assessment of Teaching Assistant Skills study guide or online course to take your studying to the next level. Just click the NYSTCE links below. Your purchase also helps us make even more great, free NYSTCE teacher assistant certification content for test-takers.