MBLEx Practice Test
The Massage and Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx) is regulated by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards, or FSMTB, and administered via Pearson VUE. The MBLEx is an entry-level licensure exam administered in 46 jurisdictions nationwide, including Washington, D.C., the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico. Passing the MBLEx is one of multiple necessary steps toward earning your state licensure in massage therapy. Make sure to check with your state board to ensure you meet all necessary criteria to become a licensed massage therapist.
What are the eligibility requirements to take the Massage and Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx)?
In order to sit for the MBLEx test, you must be able to demonstrate either enrollment in an approved massage prep program, or successful completion of an approved massage therapy program. Approved programs are recognized by the state boards under which the schools operate, and cover MBLEx subject area content as presented in the MBLEx Content Outline. Your educational program must provide documentation to FSMTB; you cannot send transcripts on your own. You may apply online to take the MBLEx, after which the FSMTB will provide authorization to sit for the test via email. You can then schedule your test date online or over the phone, and an appointment confirmation will be emailed to you. You must take the test within 90 days of approval to test. The fee to sit for the MBLEx is $195.
Check Out Mometrix's MBLEx Study Guide
Get practice questions, video tutorials, and detailed study lessonsGet Your Study Guide
What does the MBLEx cover? How many questions are on the MBLEx?
The MBLEx consists of 100 computer-adaptive questions. This means that as you answer each question correctly, the difficulty of the next question increases. This adaptation continues until a question is answered incorrectly, and then the process begins again. Just keep in mind that the test is customized to you, so try to answer each consecutive question to the best of your ability. The content outline below contains subject areas, potential topics, and weights per section.
- Anatomy and physiology, 11%
- System structure, system function, tissue injury and repair, and energetic anatomy concepts
- Kinesiology, 12%
- Components and muscle characteristics, muscle contractions, proprioceptors, muscle actions and attachments, joint function, and range of motion
- Pathology, areas of caution, contraindications, special populations, 14%
- Pathologies overview, contraindications, areas of caution, special populations, and medication classes
- Benefits, physiological effects of soft tissue manipulation techniques, 15%
- Identification of physiological effects, psychological effects and benefits of touch, soft tissue manipulation and techniques, hot/cold applications, and overview of massage modalities
- Client assessment, treatment planning, and reassessment, 17%
- Massage session organization, client consultation and evaluation, collection of written data, visual and palpation assessment, range of motion, clinical reasoning, client treatment goals, and treatment strategy formulation
- Boundaries, ethics, laws, and regulations, 16%
- Ethical behavior, professional boundaries, therapeutic relationship, dual relationships, sexual misconduct, laws and regulations, scope of practice, communication, confidentiality, and principles
- Professional practice guidelines, 15%
- Safe and proper use of equipment, hygiene, cleanliness and sanitation, safety, therapist care, draping, business practices, and business and healthcare terminology
Now that you have a good understanding of the eligibility requirements, content, and structure of the MBLEx, it’s time to begin preparing. The best way to ensure you do your best on the MBLEx and, ultimately, earn the license you’ve been working so hard to earn, is to prepare using the most comprehensive test preparation materials on the market. Mometrix Test Preparation has everything you need in the MBLEX Secrets study guide. In the MBLEX Secrets study guide, you get authentic MBLEx material, along with expert tips and tricks designed to help you reduce stress, recall information, and perform your best on the MBLEx. In addition to the MBLEX Secrets study guide, Mometrix Test Preparation has constructed a complete MBLEx Practice Test and a comprehensive set of MBLEx Flashcards. Read the MBLEX Secrets study guide, evaluate your knowledge using the MBLEx Practice Test and MBLEx Flashcards, and take the next step toward becoming a licensed massage therapist.
MBLEx Study Guide
Mometrix Academy is a completely free MBLEx exam resource provided by Mometrix Test Preparation. If you find benefit from our efforts here, check out our premium quality MBLEx study guide to take your studying to the next level. Just click the MBLEx study guide link below. Your purchase also helps us make even more great, free massage exam content for test-takers.
Check Out Mometrix's MBLEx Flashcards
Get complex subjects broken down into easily understandable conceptsGet Your Flashcards
MBLEx Study Guide Customer Success StoriesOur customers love the tutorial videos from Mometrix Academy that we have incorporated into our MBLEx study guide. The MBLEx study guide reviews below are examples of customer experiences.
Was the best book I bought to take my Mblex. Love the test and answer area.MBLEx Study Guide – Shelli
It had everything that is needed to pass your MBLEX broken down into simplified sections.MBLEx Study Guide – Ames
My daughter is now preparing to take the MBLEX. Her instructors had 1 copy of this guide and we thought it to be superb.MBLEx Study Guide – Pat
I like that it gives the full correct answer as to why the answer is correct. The questions are worded just like the actual exam. I also love the bonus material. I really love that it gets straight to the point when you first open the book.MBLEx Study Guide – Steven
I graduated 13 years ago and found I needed to take my test. I was oblivious. I had forgotten a lot of the stuff I had learned. This really helped me prepare to take my test.MBLEx Study Guide – Courtney
I bought this to refresh my skills and brush up on my massage and bodywork knowledge after taking some time off. I was very pleased with this book, I purchased at least ten similar books before I took the MBLEx and I wish I would've bought this one instead of all of them! Honestly it's that good, instead of skimming over countless things you don't need to know this book has everything that you do need to know. There's no unnecessary information that you'll waste precious studying time going over and this book is very well organized.MBLEx Study Guide – Cherokee
I’m sure this book will prepare me for to the top to take pass my Exam
It covers all the areas you need to know and the information is clear, more clear than in the book that was given to me from school.
Thank you so much for making this guide easy to read and study. I give this book a 5 rating. I do recommend it. I also shared it with the class if they are interested in purchasing a copy for themselves.MBLEx Study Guide – Maggie