Many private and parochial high schools require applicants to take the High School Placement Test, or HSPT test.
Most students who take it do so in the 8th grade, as the test can be the deciding factor in whether a student is accepted or not.
Because many colleges often give preference to applicants from private schools, your HSPT score can have a massive impact on your long-term future.
The test is given twice a year, in the spring and fall.
It is a multiple choice exam, and it lasts two and a half hours.
There are almost 300 questions, covering Verbal Skills, Math, Quantitative Skills, Language, and Reading.
Retaking the test is strongly discouraged.
You’ll want to make sure you’re ready to do your very best the first time you take the HSPT test, and you’ll find an extensive library of free videos here on Mometrix Academy to help you prepare.
HSPT Test Prep Course
- HSPT Language Review
- HSPT Mathematics and Quantitative Skills Review
- HSPT Reading Comprehension Review
- HSPT Verbal Skills Review
HSPT Practice Test
- HSPT Language Skills Practice Test
- HSPT Mathematics Practice Test
- HSPT Quantitative Skills Practice Test
- HSPT Reading Practice Test
- HSPT Verbal Skills Practice Test
What does the HSPT stand for?
The HSPT stands for High School Placement Test. This exam is used for the admissions process, scholarship selection, and curriculum placement in high schools.
Can you take the HSPT test more than once?
Unfortunately, you can only effectively take the HSPT test once. If you choose to take the test more than once, your lower score will be used.
Are you allowed to use a calculator on the HSPT?
Calculators are not allowed to be used on the HSPT exam.
What is the entrance exam for high school?
The high school entrance exam is the High School Placement Test. The HSPT used for entrance into private schools. The HSPT determines if the student has the academic capabilities to determine class level placement.
What is on the HSPT test?
There are five sections on the HSPT exam: Quantitative Skills that consists of 52 questions, Verbal Skills with 60 questions, Reading that consists of 62 questions, Mathematics with 64 questions, and Language that consists of 60 questions.
Is the HSPT test all multiple choice?
The HSPT exam consists of roughly 300 questions which are all multiple-choice. Each question is given three or four answers.
What is a passing score for the HSPT?
The HSPT exam is scored on a scaled with 200 being the lowest possible score and 800 being the highest score. However, each school has a different set score as what constitutes as “passing”.
Free HSPT Practice Test
What’s on the HSPT
Purpose: This standardized test measures your basic skills and achievement in preparation for high school. Schools will use your results in different ways including assisting with curriculum placement, admissions (typically to private and catholic schools) and scholarships.
Sections: 5 tested areas including verbal skills, quantitative skills, reading comprehension, mathematics and language.
Length: approximately 3 hours.
Format: multiple choice (you will be awarded one point for each correct answer in all sections). Keep in mind there are no deductions for incorrect answers, so try to answer all questions to the best of your ability.
Scoring: Range from 200 to 800.
Cost: Price ranges from $20 – $25. Please contact individual schools for exact pricing details.
How will my test be scored?
The Composite Score will tell high schools about your total performance on the five subtests of the HSPT battery. Because it is a total score, you must complete all subtests in order for this to be reported. It consists of three parts:
- Total Cognitive Skills – Verbal and Quantitative subtests
- Total Basic Skills – Reading, Math and Language subtests
- Composite – Verbal, Quantitative, Reading, Math and Language subtests
Normative Scores are made up of five different types of scores. Your school will decide if and how to use each one:
- National Percentile (NP) Rank – compares your individual performance with other students at the same grade on a national level. Scale ranges from 1 to 99.
- Local Percentile (LP) Rank – similar to the national percentile rank, except it compares your performance to other local students at the same grade.
- Grade Equivalents (GE) – will compare your performance with the average performance of students at other grade levels. This score is tricky and can be deceiving. For example, if you score a GE of 9 as an 8th grader, it does not mean you should skip a grade and be placed in 9th grade.
- Cognitive Skills Quotient (CSQ) – serves to predict your future academic performance, replacing the traditional IQ score. It can be interpreted using the same IQ score guide. For example, above 130 being the upper echelon and below 70 being the lower echelon.
- Standard Scores (SS) – ranges from 200 to 800. It is a frame of reference which allows for accurate group comparisons from one year to another.
- Remember, there is no penalty for wrong answers. Scores are determined by the number of questions you answer correctly. Therefore, it is in your best interest to answer every question, even if you are unsure.
- Read each question carefully, taking the time to choose the best answer. However, keep in mind you must pace yourself since this is a timed test. Practice managing your time wisely by timing yourself during practice sessions.
- Be sure to read the directions for each subtest carefully. You will be required to perform different tasks for different portions of the test. Do not assume the next section is like the previous one you just completed.
- Make studying fun by using word and math games. You can find a variety of games on the Internet, as well as taking advantage of games your teachers have introduced in the classroom.
- Although dictionaries and calculators are not permitted during the test, take advantage of these tools while studying to help reinforce learning.
HSPT Study Guide
Mometrix Academy is a completely free resource provided by Mometrix Test Preparation. If you find benefit from our efforts here, check out our premium quality HSPT study guide to take your studying to the next level. Just click the HSPT Secrets Study Guide link below. Your purchase also helps us make even more great, free content for test-takers.
HSPT Study Guide Customer Success StoriesOur customers love the tutorial videos from Mometrix Academy that we have incorporated into our HSPT test study guide. The HSPT study guide reviews below are examples of customer experiences.
My son and I started reviewing the guide last night, and after reviewing the verbal skills section just once, and then having him do practice questions, his score significantly improved...just with one review session! I'm sure many other students, just like my son, possess the requisite knowledge to answer test questions... but they need guidance on test taking techniques. Once my son understood how to navigate the questions, the answers just opened for him. He is feeling much more confident, and I am one happy mom! Glad we purchased the guide.HSPT Study Guide – Customer
This study guide is very informative and has covered a lot of lessons that I am sure will make my students be successful in their high school placement test. I am a teacher and I purchased this book to help me in providing a good review and preparation guide to my students who will soon be taking the high school placement test for selective enrollment. I am confident that, after we go through with the review using this study guide, they will be successful. Thank you for having this book for the students.HSPT Study Guide – Joseph
Great study guide! My daughter has attended a variety of schools and this is helping her ensure that she knows what is expected on the HSPT exam and in her classes. Regardless of HSPT, this guide also has great test taking tips. Love it so far!HSPT Study Guide – Customer
This book has been a very useful aid for teaching my daughter how to study for the exam. She also like to watch the review videos that go along with each section. It is also great having the practice tests to give her a taste of what is to come.HSPT Study Guide – Michele
These books are a great combination in helping to prepare for the HSPT exam because my son is able to read about how to answer and work through questions in the guide and then use the practice tests to prepare.HSPT Study Guide – Customer
I love the way this product breaks down the explanations to my daughter. I'm able to target specific areas that we haven't cover because we are running out of time.HSPT Study Guide – Victor
I bought this book for my 13-year old to study for his next year high school entrance exam. Based on my son's improvements on his study habits and his high scoring test results in his current grade 8 classes, I highly recommend this for students of all levels from middle school to college to invest in this book. The online explanations for each section is an added bonus to further explain any concepts that a student still struggles with in the booklet. Thank you Mometrix for putting this booklet together!HSPT Study Guide – Customer
I like that you have a video component to go along with the explanations. My son is a visual learner and likes being able to see the work be explained and see the steps . It was very helpful. We have not completed the book yet, but I have utilized other Mometrix guides when I studied for my CCM. They are useful and the practice tests help. His focus needs to be on speed. The excerpt about time being your greatest enemy is great and very helpful.HSPT Study Guide – Lesa
My daughter has been working with the HSPT study guide and Flash Cards. She is getting great information. She especially loves how after every subject there is a video she can go to reinforce what was just covered in the book. Although her test is not until next month, she says she feels confident about testing well and as she says "at least I wont got blind not having a clue as to what kind of questions I will be asked" I will try to remember to post another review after her test in January!
Customer Service is great, and very quick to respond to any questions. Definitely recommend it.