The FTCE Florida Educational Leadership Examination (FELE) is administered by the Florida Department of Education (FDOE) to assess prospective educational leaders in the state of Florida.
Click “Start Test” above to take a free FTCE FELE practice test, and check out our premium-quality FTCE FELE test prep resources by clicking the links below!
The Florida Educational Leadership Examination is split into three subtests, all of which must be taken and passed in order to pass the full FELE exam. Overall, you will have 6.5 hours to complete all 140 multiple-choice questions and one essay.
Subtest 1: Leadership for Student Learning
This subtest contains 50 multiple-choice questions and has a time limit of 2 hours. The questions are grouped evenly into four knowledge-based competencies:
- Effective facilitation of positive achievement results aligned with student learning goals and state accountability measures (25%)
- Effective prioritization of student learning through leadership actions that build and support a learning organization (25%)
- Effective development and implementation of an instructional framework that aligns school curriculum with state standards, effective instructional strategies, student learning needs, and assessments (25%)
- Effective structuring and monitoring of a school environment that improves learning for all student populations (25%)
Subtest 2: Organizational Development
This subtest contains 50 multiple-choice questions and has a time limit of 2 hours. The questions are grouped into four knowledge-based competencies:
- Effective recruitment and induction practices to develop a high-performing, diverse faculty and staff (17%)
- Effective practices for the development and retention of high-performing, diverse faculty and staff (33%)
- Effective practices that cultivate, support, and develop leaders within the organization (25%)
- Personal and professional behavior consistent with quality practices in education and community leadership (25%)
Subtest 3: Systems Leadership
This subtest contains 40 multiple-choice questions and one essay assignment, and you will be given a time limit of 2.5 hours.
The multiple-choice questions are grouped evenly into four knowledge-based competencies:
- Effective decision-making processes that are based on research, best practices, and leadership theory (25%)
- Effective organizational theory, research, and management practices related to school operations (25%)
- Effective utilization of resources and fiscal management practices that maximize a safe and effective learning environment (25%)
- School legal practices and applications that assure a safe and effective learning environment (25%)
For the essay portion, you will be tested on your knowledge of effective communication practices that accomplish school and system-wide goals.
Check Out Mometrix's FTCE Florida Educational Leadership Study Guide
Get practice questions, video tutorials, and detailed study lessonsGet Your Study Guide
For FTCE FELE registration, you must first create an FTCE/FELE account. After your account has been created, log in and select the FTCE FELE exam. From there, you can register for the exam, pay the $215 testing fee, and schedule your testing appointment. You may take all subtests in one sitting, or schedule separate appointments per subtest.
On test day, you should arrive at the testing center 15-30 minutes earlier than the scheduled testing appointment. Once you arrive, you will be asked to sign in and provide two valid forms of government-issued ID. Your photograph will then be taken, and a biometric scan of your palm vein will be taken for identification and security purposes.
Before the test begins, you will be asked to place all personal items (cell phone, wallet, bags, keys, food items, etc.) in a locker outside the testing room, or you may be asked to leave them in your car.
When you enter the testing room, you will be given a scientific calculator, and the proctor will provide testing instructions. Once the test begins, you will be allowed to take breaks. However, the timer will not be stopped during your break, so use your break time carefully.
How the Exam is Scored
Your FELE score is determined by taking your raw score, which is the number of questions you answered correctly, and converting it to a scaled score. To pass, you will need to get a minimum scaled score of 200 on each subtest for the multiple-choice sections. For the essay, you will bed to score at least 7 out of 12 points.
You will receive your official score report within four weeks after testing.
Check Out Mometrix's FTCE Florida Educational Leadership Flashcards
Get complex subjects broken down into easily understandable conceptsGet Your Flashcards
How many questions are on the FTCE FELE test?
There are 140 multiple-choice questions and one essay on the test.
How long is the FTCE FELE test?
The overall time limit for this test is 6.5 hours.
What is the passing score for the FTCE FELE test?
To pass the exam, you must achieve a minimum scaled score of 200 on each multiple-choice section and a score of 7 out of 12 for the essay portion.
How much does the FTCE FELE test cost?
The testing fee is $215.