Becoming a teacher in California requires you to pass the California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET). To obtain an physical education teaching credential, you must take three CSET Physical Education subtests (129, 130, and 131).
Click “Start Test” above to take a free CSET Physical Education practice test, and check out our premium-quality CSET test prep resources by clicking the links below!
CSET Physical Education Exam Outline
Each of the three CSET Physical Education subtests contains a mix of multiple-choice questions and constructed-response questions, and the time limit varies for each subtest.
Subtest I (129)
The first subtest contains 40 multiple-choice questions and two constructed-response questions, and you will be given a time limit of 1 hour and 45 minutes.
The questions are grouped into two domains:
1. Growth, Motor Development, and Motor Learning
- Individual differences
- Perceptual-motor development
- Physical and developmental changes
- Motor learning
- Motor task analysis
- Conditions affecting growth, motor development, and motor learning
- Developmental differences affecting motor skills acquisition
2. The Science of Human Movement
- Body systems
- Basic kinematic and kinetic principles of motion
- Biomechanical principles
- Movement analysis
- Effects of exercise
- Components of wellness
- Physical fitness testing and prescription
- Factors affecting physical performance
- Safety, injury prevention, and first aid
- Physiological principle of fitness
Subtest II (130)
The second subtest contains 40 multiple-choice questions and two constructed-response questions, and you will be given a time limit of 1.5 hours.
The questions are grouped into three domains:
1. The Sociology and Psychology of Human Movement
- Personal development
- Theories related to motivation
- Social development
- Role of movement activities in society
- Factors influencing activity choices
2. Movement Concepts and Forms
- Fundamental and creative movement skills
- Dance concepts and forms
- Gymnastic movements
- Aquatic skills
- Individual, dual, and team sports and games
- Outdoor education
- Nontraditional and cooperative activities
- Combative activities
- Fitness activities
3. Assessment and Evaluation Principles
- Evaluation methods in physical education
- Techniques of test construction, evaluation, and administration
- Test characteristics
- Assessment techniques and tools
- Types of evaluation
- Basic statistical applications
- Interpretation and communication of assessment data
Subtest III (131)
The third subtest contains 40 multiple-choice questions and one constructed-response question, and you will be given a time limit of 1 hour and 45 minutes.
The questions are grouped into two domains:
1. Professional Foundations
- Philosophies of physical education
- Historical development
- Current research, trends, and issues
- Legal and ethical issues
- Interrelationships of the subdisciplines of kinesiology
- Professional responsibilities, organizations, and resources
- Relationship between human movement activities and values
2. Integration of Concepts
- Interpretation and application of the subdisciplines of kinesiology
- Selecting, adapting, and modifying activities
- Developmental progressions
- Learning concepts and principles
- Connections between physical education and other disciplines
Check Out Mometrix's CSET Study Guide
Get practice questions, video tutorials, and detailed study lessonsGet Your Study Guide
CSET Physical Education Exam Registration
To register for the exam, you must create an online NES account via their website. Once your account has been created, you can use it to register for the exam and schedule an exam date. When you register, you will need to pay the $99 examination fee per subtest ($297 for all three subtests taken together).
You should arrive at the testing center 15-30 minutes early on the day of your testing appointment to allow time for the check-in process. Upon arrival, you will be asked to sign in and provide at least one form of valid photo ID.
After the check-in process is complete, you will be asked to leave all personal items (cell phone, watch, wallet, keys, etc.) in a locker outside the testing area.
Once you enter the testing room, you will be given a brief tutorial on the testing system before the exam begins.
How the Exam is Scored
Your CSET Multiple Subject test results are reported as scaled scores based on your total raw score points from both the multiple-choice section and the constructed-response section. Your raw scores are converted to a scale of 100 to 300, with the scaled score of 220 being the minimum passing score.
Generally, it takes around two to three weeks after the last day of the examination period before you receive your test results.
Check Out Mometrix's CSET Flashcards
Get complex subjects broken down into easily understandable conceptsGet Your Flashcards
How many questions are on the CSET Physical Education exam?
There are 125 questions on the exam.
How long is the CSET Physical Education exam?
The overall time limit for the exam is 5 hours.
What is the passing score for the CSET Physical Education exam?
To pass the exam, you must achieve a minimum scaled score of 220 on each subtest.
How much does the CSET Physical Education exam cost?
The cost of each subtest is $99, while all subtests taken together costs $297.