RPSGT Practice Test
This article will help you prepare for the Registered Polysomnographic TechnologistTM (RPSGT) exam, by giving you an idea of what types of competencies will be assessed, along with other general preparation steps you should take.
The Role of The RPSGT Exam as Part of Overall Certification
The certification is awarded by the Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists and the exam process is administered by Pearson VUE.
In addition to passing the RPSGT exam, to qualify for full certification, you’ll also need to have a Basic Life Support (BLS) certification and follow BRPT Standards of Conduct.
Once certified, you will have earned the highest level of internationally recognized certification for clinically assessing those who have sleep disorders.
RPSGT Exam Eligibility
There are five pathways to become eligible to sit for the RPSGT exam, including:
- Clinical Experience — Those with at least 1,638 hours of clinical field experience who have also achieved STAR designation.
- Healthcare Credential — For those who have or will graduate with at least 546 hours of clinical experience who also hold another healthcare credential.
- CAAHEP/CoARC Student — Available for graduates of CoARC- or CAAHEP-accredited polysomnography education programs.
- Focused Training — For those with at least 819 hours of related clinical experience who have also completed STAR-designated Focused training, or a combination of Focused 2 and self-study education.
- International Option — International candidates who conduct polysomnography after finishing their post-secondary education in a medicine- or science-related discipline in their respective nation.
Applying for the RPSGT Exam
You must apply in advance to be approved to sit for the RPSGT exam. You can apply by contacting the Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists.
The cost to take the RPSGT exam is $450, and is due when you make your application. The fee entitles you one exam attempt that you must complete within 12 months from your application date. You can pay via American Express, MasterCard, VISA, money order or cashier’s check.
Check Out Mometrix's RPSGT Study Guide
Get practice questions, video tutorials, and detailed study lessonsGet Your Study Guide
After you apply and are approved to take the RPSGT exam, you’ll receive an approval email. This email will include your candidate ID, along with details on how to schedule your exam at your nearest test center.
You will have 3 hours to complete the exam.
What to Bring:
- Two forms of identification, including:
- Government-issued photo ID (valid driver’s license, passport or state- or military-issued ID, etc.), and
- A signed current ID (with no photo requirement), including a signed debit/credit card, signed work or student ID, etc.)
- Your exam confirmation notice.
- A calculator will be provided to you during testing.
What Not to Bring:
- Any electronic devices, including phones, tablets, pagers, alarm clocks or watches
- Reference materials such as dictionaries
- Your own calculator
- Food or drinks
A Closer Look at the RPSGT Exam
What the RPSGT Exam Measures
In general, you’ll be assessed on four domains of knowledge:
- Domain 1: Study Performance/Instrumentation (40%)— Collecting and reviewing patient information, preparing for the procedure, identifying and applying sensors, calibrating equipment, performing procedures, documenting during testing, identifying and responding to issues and cleaning/disinfecting equipment.
- Domain 2: Scoring and Data Processing (20%) — Adult and pediatric scoring, reporting, and archiving data.
- Domain 3: Perform Therapeutic Treatment and Intervention (30%) — Contraindications titrate PAP and oxygen, and alternative therapies.
- Domain 4: Therapeutic Adherence and Management (10%) — Healthy sleep habits, the importance of therapy, physiology of OSA, mechanics of PAP therapy, desensitization techniques and compliance.
Check Out Mometrix's RPSGT Flashcards
Get complex subjects broken down into easily understandable conceptsGet Your Flashcards
Passing Score Calculation
Because of variations in the exam form difficulty level from one examination to another, the point total needed to pass varies. A thorough and rigorous scoring system is conducted for each examination location to calculate the passing score, otherwise known as the “cut score” between those who pass and those who fail. These calculations are completed before testing. Once you complete your exam, you will immediately learn whether you’ve passed.
Preparatory Level Needed
In general, prior to taking the RPSGT exam, you should have a good understanding of medical terms, safety guidelines, written and verbal communications, patient confidentiality, standard care and emergency steps, along with basic math and computer skills.
Number of Questions
In general, the Reading Test is comprised of 175 multiple choice questions, including 150 scored items, and 25 practice questions.
Find additional resources to help you prepare for the RPSGT exam from Mometrix Academy. You can access our valuable RPSGT Study Guide, including videos and exam preparation details, along with a set of flashcards to help you further test your knowledge and retention and prepare for RPSGT exam success.
RPSGT Study Guide
Mometrix Academy is a completely free resource provided by Mometrix Test Preparation. If you find benefit from our efforts here, check out our premium quality RPSGT study guide to take your studying to the next level. Just click the RPSGT study guide link below. Your purchase also helps us make even more great, free content for test-takers.
RPSGT Study Guide Customer Success StoriesOur customers love the tutorial videos from Mometrix Academy that we have incorporated into our RPSGT study guide. The RPSGT study guide reviews below are examples of customer experiences.
This book was exactly what I needed. Lots of great information, well organized which makes understanding and retaining the material even easier.RPSGT Study Guide – Christina
I am a respiratory therapist and I have been working in the sleep lab for about 9 months. I'm getting ready to take my exam. I have found the content of this book to be thorough. Pretty excited to take the exam and become a RPSGT. I believe this study guide will help me to become successful.RPSGT Study Guide – Kevisha
I purchased RPSGT Exam Secrets ants Study Guide to prepare for my exam. I find the book very informative and easy to read and understand. I definitely recommend it to anyone who is planning on taking the exam. I liked that the practice test not only gave you the answers it also gave an explanation.RPSGT Study Guide – Lauren
I love how easy it is to study for my exam. The way this study guide is concise yet detailed enough that I feel confident that I will pass my exam. I am glad I have this tool!RPSGT Study Guide – Angie
I am so impressed with this book. I feel this book has filled in the gaps of my study materials. I know I am so much more prepared.RPSGT Study Guide – Bunnie
I was told about this book by colleagues, that it may give me insight on what to prepare for. I'm speechless. Its FABULOUS!!! I love everything about it thus far. I'll surely tell others like myself who will be taking the exam soon. Thank you!!!!!!RPSGT Study Guide – Sylvia
I am a certified technician working at a lab and I'll be taking my exam in a few weeks, this has helped me I understand my field of study and is helping me prep for my boards. I bring this book to read at work as well!!RPSGT Study Guide – Customer
This book was exactly what I needed; lots of great information and well organized (which makes understanding and retaining the material even easier). Also, what impresses me the most about this book is the way it helps the test taker focus on what's important. Without this book, it's hard to know where to focus your studies and therefore one can waste valuable study time and possibly end up ill-prepared to take the test. I am very happy with my purchase of this book.RPSGT Study Guide – Russ
This book is an excellent tool in one's preparation for the RPSGT exam. This was one of my resources and would highly recommend it!RPSGT Study Guide – Teresa
I am a RPSGT and I am helping a friend pass his RPSGT examination. The RPSGT Exam Secrets is a very comprehensive text with all the information needed to pass the exam. It gives you information not only to review your understanding of sleep technology but also to prepare yourself mentally to pass the exam.RPSGT Study Guide – Customer
The book is very well written and easy to understand. I like the way it is divided into different subjects and how it does not make any assumptions about what its readers know. The flash cards are a great tool and make studying very convenientRPSGT Study Guide – Elizabeth