Praxis II Special Education: Core Knowledge and Mild to Moderate Applications (5543) Practice Test
The Praxis II Special Education: Core Knowledge and Mild to Moderate Applications Exam is intended to prepare teachers who instruct students with mild to moderate disabilities, from preschool to the 12th grade.
This is a 2-hour exam, with 90 selected-response questions and 3 integrated constructed-response questions. Selected-response questions are generally the multiple-choice format. With integrated constructed-response questions, you will be required to write your own response in essay or short-answer form.
Of the two hours allocated to the exam, 90 minutes will likely be spent on the selected-response questions, and 30 minutes on the integrated constructed-response questions.
The exam is usually administered via the computer, but special accommodations can be made for individuals who are approved for such.
What are the content categories of the exam?
There are 6 areas that will be tested on this exam. They are:
- Development and Characteristics of Learners – 14%
- Planning and the Learning Environment – 17%
- Instruction – 17%
- Assessment – 14%
- Foundations and Professional Responsibilities – 13%
- Integrated Constructed-response Questions – 25%
Development and Characteristics of Learners
- Human development and behavior
- Theories of student learning and motivation
- Major disability categories
- Impact of disabilities
- Identification process and language, culture, and gender
- Simultaneous conditions
- Family systems and people with disabilities
- Student development and environment and society
Planning and the Learning Environment
- Lesson plans
- Measurable learning objectives
- Curriculum access
- Learning environment organization
- Managing student behavior
- Class environment and promoting student achievement
- Instructional strategies and techniques
- Use of research-based interventions
- Supplementary and functional curriculum
- Assistive technology
- Preventive strategies for at-risk learners
- Evidence-based assessments
- Use of various assessments
- Assessment results
Foundations and Professional Responsibilities
- Federal definitions
- Pre-referral, referral, and identification
- Rights of stakeholders
- Individualized Education Program
- Special education teacher
- Other professionals who provide special education services
- Collaborative approaches
- Communication and stakeholders
- Bias issues
Integrated Constructed-response Questions
- Instruction and assessment
- Learning environment
- Classroom management
What is the easiest way to register for the exam?
- Register online and pay via credit card, debit card, or PayPal.
- Print your admission ticket. Take it with you on the day of testing.
How much does the exam cost?
The cost of the Praxis II Special Education: Core Knowledge and Mild to Moderate Applications Exam is $146.
What should I do the day of the exam?
Bring identification that includes a photo of yourself, as well as your name and signature. You are not allowed to bring a calculator into the testing area.
Personal items such as handbag, water bottle, and books are not allowed. Cell phones are also prohibited.
What happens after I take the exam?
Due to the fact that this exam has constructed-response questions in addition to selected-response questions, your score will NOT appear on the screen after taking the exam. You will have online access to your official score report approximately 20 days after the testing window closes.
What happens if I don’t pass the exam?
With most Praxis exams, including Praxis II Special Education: Core Knowledge and Mild to Moderate Applications, if you fail, you can retake it once every 21 days, not including the initial test date.
Mometrix has prepared several resources to adequately groom you for this exam. Click here for our comprehensive study guide. You can choose from a printed book or E-book.
Don’t forget to also purchase our flashcard set for additional practice.
Praxis II Special Education: Practice Test (5543)
Praxis II Special Education: Core Knowledge and Mild to Moderate Applications Study Guide
Mometrix Academy is a completely free resource provided by Mometrix Test Preparation. If you find benefit from our efforts here, check out our premium quality Praxis II Special Education: Core Knowledge and Mild to Moderate Applications (5543) study guide to take your studying to the next level. Just click the Praxis II Special Education: Core Knowledge and Mild to Moderate Applications (5543) study guide link below. Your purchase also helps us make even more great, free content for test-takers.