Praxis Special Education: Core Knowledge and Applications (5354) Practice Test
The Praxis tests are a variety of assessments, with different specialties, available to entry-level teachers who need certification. Administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS), Praxis tests are a prerequisite for many professional and state licensing organizations. These examinations assess candidates’ subject-specific content knowledge and academic skills.
The Special Education: Core Knowledge and Applications test is ideal for prospective teachers who are interested in teaching in a special education program, from preschool to grade 12. The exam adheres to the Special Educator Professional Preparation Standards, covering the basic concepts and applications necessary for an entry-level position.
How to apply for the Special Education: Core Knowledge and Applications Test
Prospective teachers interested in taking the Special Education: Core Knowledge and Applications exam can apply by registering online, on the Educational Testing Service (ETS) website. Other options include:
- Registering by phone. Candidates who choose to register by phone must have a Praxis account online and plan on testing at a U.S. testing center. There is a $35 fee to use this service.
- Registering by mail. To register by mail, fill out the Test Authorization Voucher Request Form, which is found on the ETS website. After ETS receives the form, the candidate will receive a voucher number and instructions for registration.
The exam is $120. The acceptable forms of payment are listed below.
- Debit/Credit Card (Visa, American Express, Discover, JCB, Mastercard)
- Bank check or eCheck (from a U.S. bank, in U.S. dollars)
- Money order/ U.S. Postal Service money order
How long is the Special Education: Core Knowledge and Applications Exam?
The exam is 2 hours, with 120 selected-response questions.
What topics are covered on the Special Education: Core Knowledge and Applications Exam?
The Special Education: Core Knowledge and Applications test include the following 5 content categories.
- Development and Characteristics of Learners. This section makes up 16% of the test, with 20 questions. Candidates are required to demonstrate an understanding of concepts like co-occurring conditions, human development and behavior, and disability categories.
- Planning and the Learning Environment. This section makes up 23% of the exam, with 27 questions. Candidates are required to identify the characteristics of a good lesson plan and the theories and practices for a safe and effective classroom.
- Instruction. This section makes up 23% of the test, with 27 questions. Candidates are required to distinguish between instructional strategies for different learning environments.
- Assessment. This section makes up 18% of the exam, with 22 questions. Candidates are required to identify evidence-based assessments and interpret data.
- Foundations and Professional Responsibilities. This section makes up 20% of the exam, with 24 questions. Candidates must demonstrate an understanding of federal requirements, major legislation, and the roles associated with special education.
Check Out Mometrix's Praxis II Special Education Study Guide
Get practice questions, video tutorials, and detailed study lessonsGet Your Study Guide
What is a passing score for the Special Education: Core Knowledge and Applications Exam?
The Educational Testing Service (ETS) does not set the score requirements for this exam. Please contact your state or professional licensing agency to find out the score requirements for certification.
What to expect on test day
While everyone’s testing experience is different, there are some standard tips and procedures for test day listed below.
- The testing locations often change, so please be sure to verify your testing location the day before your scheduled exam.
- Although it’s not a requirement, please bring a copy of your admission ticket, which is in your Praxis account, to your testing location.
- Please arrive at your testing center 30 minutes before your scheduled exam.
- All test-takers are required to bring a non-expired ID, with your name, signature, and photograph. Please note that the name on the ID must match the name on the registration.
- Personal items like bags, study materials, and cell phones are not allowed in the testing area.
- The test administrator will provide you with pencils and erasers.
- Make sure you get enough rest the night before and eat a healthy breakfast in the morning.
How to prepare for the Special Education: Core Knowledge and Applications Exam
If you are experiencing anxiety about test day, don’t worry! There are millions of prospective teachers around the world who feel the same. That’s why our test preparation experts created the Mometrix Praxis Study Guide, which not only provides you with a structured layout, but easy-to-understand explanations so you can study more quickly and efficiently. To ease your anxiety more, the study guide also includes powerful test-taking techniques that teach you how to spot clues, avoid answer traps, and use your time more effectively.
The Mometrix Praxis Flashcards are ideal for students who want to make the most out of their spare time by quizzing themselves, and having a little fun!
We are excited about being a part of your journey to becoming a special education teacher. Good luck!
Check Out Mometrix's Praxis II Special Education Flashcards
Get complex subjects broken down into easily understandable conceptsGet Your Flashcards
Praxis Special Education: Core Knowledge and Applications Study Guide
Mometrix Academy is a completely free resource provided by Mometrix Test Preparation. If you find benefit from our efforts here, check out our premium quality Praxis Special Education: Core Knowledge and Applications (5354) study guide to take your studying to the next level. Just click the Praxis Special Education: Core Knowledge and Applications (5354) study guide link below. Your purchase also helps us make even more great, free content for test-takers.
Praxis Study Guide