Praxis II Mathematics: Content Knowledge (5161) Practice Test
The Mathematics: Content Knowledge exam is one of the many Praxis tests available for individuals who would like to pursue a career in education. The Educational Testing Service (ETS) developed the Praxis tests to determine whether individuals possess the skills and foundational knowledge necessary for teaching a specific subject. Approximately 40 states and United States territories require the Praxis tests for state licensure. The Praxis tests are also a prerequisite for some colleges and universities.
The Mathematics: Content Knowledge exam evaluates the mathematical knowledge and competencies necessary for entry-level teachers in secondary school mathematics. Candidates are required to use reasoning, solve problems using different concepts, and develop mathematical models. Generally, candidates who take the Mathematics: Content Knowledge exam have completed a bachelor’s program in mathematics or mathematics education.
How to apply for the Mathematics: Content Knowledge exam
To apply for the Mathematics: Content Knowledge (5161) exam, go to the Educational Testing Service (ETS) website. Candidates can also register by phone and by mail. Available testing locations include Prometric test centers, universities, and other qualifying locations.
The exam is $120.
How long is the Mathematics: Content Knowledge exam?
The exam is 150 minutes (2 hours and 30 minutes), with 60 questions. Some of the question types include numeric entry, selected-response, and drag-and-drop.
What is a passing score for the Mathematics: Content Knowledge exam?
The state licensing agency, university, or other association that requires this exam determines the passing score.
What topics are covered on the Mathematics: Content Knowledge exam?
The exam is divided into the following sections:
- Number and Quantity, Algebra, Functions, and Calculus. This section makes up 68% of the exam, with 41 questions. Some of the concepts covered in this section include exponents, polynomials, algebraic expressions, and ratios.
- Geometry, Probability and Statistics, and Discrete Mathematics. This section makes up 32% of the exam, with 19 questions. Some of the concepts covered in this section include line segments, geometric sequences, and simple events.
The Mathematics: Content Knowledge exam is a computer-based test, with questions like selected-response, constructed response, and drag-and-drop.
Praxis II Mathematics: Content Knowledge Practice Questions
What to expect on test day
Each candidate’s test-taking experience will be slightly different, depending on the location. Below you will find some common tips and requirements for test day.
- Test locations often change, so it’s important to confirm your test location before your scheduled exam.
- Please plan to arrive at the testing location early to avoid forfeiting your test.
- It is encouraged to bring a copy of your admission ticket, which can be found in your Praxis account on the ETS website. While it isn’t a requirement, test facilitators may ask for it.
- Bring an unexpired ID that has your name, photograph, and signature. Acceptable IDs include a passport, driver’s license, state ID, national ID, and military ID. (Some test centers may require a second form of ID.)
- Personal items, including electronics, extra clothing, and study materials are not allowed in the testing area.
- There will be an on-screen graphing calculator. (On the ETS website, you can download a 30-day trial version of the calculator so you can become familiar with the functions.)
How to prepare for the Mathematics: Content Knowledge (5161) exam
Congratulations on taking the next step to becoming a math teacher! Our test research experts have picked this exam apart to develop thorough study materials that not only explains the need-to-know topics but gives you confidence, so that you can feel more at ease on test day.
The Mometrix Praxis Study Guide provides you with a review of all of the exam topics, including calculus and statistics. These easy-to-understand explanations help you retain the information more quickly and effectively. To help you perform more efficiently on test day, the Mometrix Praxis Study Guide also includes secret test-taking strategies, which helps you avoid common answer traps and so much more.
For those who wish to study on the go, the Mometrix Praxis Flashcards allow you to quiz yourself whenever you have free time.
The Mometrix Praxis study materials are designed to help you from the time you start studying until the test is over. We know you’ll do well! Good luck!
Praxis II Mathematics: Content Knowledge Study Guide
Mometrix Academy is a completely free Praxis 2 math resource provided by Mometrix Test Preparation. If you find benefit from our efforts here, check out our premium quality Praxis II Mathematics: Content Knowledge (5161) study guide to take your studying to the next level. Just click the Praxis II Mathematics: Content Knowledge (5161) study guide link below. Your purchase also helps us make even more great, free content for test-takers.
Praxis II – Home
Provided by: Mometrix Test Preparation
Last updated: 08/07/2018