Plant Operator Selection System Practice Test
The Plant Operator Selection System (POSS) test is an exam designed by the Edison Energy Institute (EEI) to assess your aptitude and skills with relation to power plant operations positions, such as those in fossil, hydroelectric, or nuclear power plants. The POSS is administered by a variety of utility companies to ensure their potential employees have the requisite knowledge and skills to be productive, efficient power plant employees. Many companies administer the POSS as part of the application process, which means the specific regulations and conditions for the exam may vary. Your future employer will provide you with additional information regarding their POSS testing process.
How many questions are on the Plant Operator Selection System test?
The POSS is a multiple-choice, paper-and-pencil aptitude test containing a total of approximately 230 questions. You will be given approximately 80 minutes to complete the test, although times may vary slightly across companies.
What does the Plant Operator Selection System test cover?
The POSS consists of five different test batteries, or sections, covering Reading Comprehension, Mechanical Concepts, Mathematical Usage (short-form or long-form, depending on position), Spatial Ability (also referred to as Figural Reasoning), and Tables and Graphs (consisting of two parts). The content, number of questions, and time allotted for each test battery are as follows:
- Reading Comprehension: 36 questions based on 5 passages of reading; 30 minutes
- This section consists of short reading passages based on primarily technical concepts, such as what you might read in utility training manuals. You will need to demonstrate your comprehension of these passages.
- Mechanical Concepts: 44 questions; 20 minutes
- This section consists of questions regarding the use of mechanical devices related to power plant operations. You will see line drawings of pulleys, levers, gears, ramps, and fulcrums, and be expected to demonstrate your understanding of motion, momentum, pressure, and related physics concepts.
- Mathematical Usage: 18 questions for the short-form, and 46 questions for the long-form; 7 minutes and 14 minutes respectively
- This section consists of questions covering mathematical formulas and mathematical problem-solving skills. Typically, if you are applying for a plant operator position, you will take the short-form version of this test battery. If you are applying for a supervisory role, you will likely take the long-form version of this test battery.
- Spatial Ability (also referred to as Figural Reasoning or Assembly): 20 questions; 10 minutes
- This section consists of questions related primarily to assembly. You will see drawings of disassembled devices and be required identify their parts, demonstrate understanding of perspective, and visualize assembled devices.
- Tables and Graphs (parts I and II): 60 questions for part I, and 24 questions for part II; 5 minutes and 4 minutes respectively
- This section consists of two parts, including tables exhibiting numerical relationships and graphs displaying a variety of comparisons. You will be required to demonstrate your ability to interpret data as displayed in tabular format.
Plant Operator Selection System Study Guide
Now that you have a better understanding of the content and structure of the Plant Operator Selection System test, you are ready to begin preparing for exam day. Getting enough sleep, eating properly, and taking care of yourself physically will certainly help. However, when it comes to test preparation, the best way to ensure you do well on the POSS, and ultimately secure the position you deserve, is to prepare using the most accurate and complete test preparation materials you can find.
Mometrix Test Preparation has developed just the test preparation materials you need in the Plant Operator Selection System Secrets study guide. In the Plant Operator Selection System Secrets study guide, you will find authentic POSS material and expert tips designed to help you recall knowledge, reduce your stress, and perform your absolute best on the POSS test. In addition to the Plant Operator Selection System Secrets study guide, Mometrix Test Preparation also offers a comprehensive POSS Practice Test. Read the Plant Operator Selection System Secrets study guide, test your knowledge, skills, and abilities using the POSS Practice Test, and earn the score you need to impress your future employer and secure the plant operations position you deserve.
POSS Study Guide
Mometrix Academy is a completely free resource provided by Mometrix Test Preparation. If you find benefit from our efforts here, check out our premium quality Plant Operator Selection System study guide to take your studying to the next level. Just click the Plant Operator Selection System study guide link below. Your purchase also helps us make even more great, free content for test-takers.