Pennsylvania Educator Certification Tests (PECT) PreK-4 Exam
Created in 2010, the Pennsylvania Educator Certification Tests (PECT) is a program that offers assessments to ensure that candidates possess the necessary knowledge and competencies to become certified Pennsylvania educators. The Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) developed the PECT program, with the help of Pennsylvania educators and the Evaluation System group of Pearson.
The PECT PreK-4 is a computer-based exam, with three modules that are considered separate tests. This exam covers an array of topics related to PreK to 4th-grade education, including child development and literacy development.
PECT PreK-4 Practice Test Video
Who is eligible to take the PECT PreK-4 Certification Exam?
Undergraduate candidates interested in taking the PECT PreK-4 exam must pass a basic skills assessment, like the Pre-service Academic Performance Assessment (PAPA). Post-baccalaureate candidate, as well as advanced degree holders are not required to take a basic skills assessment.
How to apply for the PECT PreK-4 Certification Exam
To register for the PECT PreK-4, please visit the Pennsylvania Educator Certification Tests website. After registration, you can schedule your test at a Pearson Professional Center.
How long is the PECT PreK-4 Certification Exam?
The PECT PreK-4 is a computer-based test, divided into 3 separate modules.
- Module 1 is 45 minutes, with 36 selected-response questions
- Module 2 is 75 minutes (1 hour and 15 minutes), with 45 selected-response questions
- Module 3 is 90 minutes (1 hour and 30 minutes), with 45 selected-response questions
Candidates have the option to make individual appointments for each module or take all 3 modules at one appointment. Those who take all 3 at once will have a 15-minute break in between each module.
What topics are covered on the PECT PreK-4 Certification Exam?
Below you will find information about the 3 modules of the PECT PreK-4 exam.
- Child Development, Learning, and Assessment. This section makes up 60% of module 1. Some of the skills include identifying child development theories, cultural and family influences, and standardized tests.
- Collaboration and Professionalism. This section makes up 40% of module 1. Some of the skills include recognizing strategies for establishing positive learning environments and identifying state and federal programs for PreK-4th grade.
- Language and Literacy Development. This section makes up 66% of module 2. Some of the skills include demonstrating an understanding of phonics skills development and identifying Pennsylvania’s PreK-4 learning standards in language arts.
- Social Studies, Arts, and Humanities. This section makes up 34% of module 2. Some of the concepts include identifying the central themes of social studies learning and recognizing appropriate assessments.
- Mathematics, Science, and Health. This is the only section in module 3. Some of the concepts include recognizing the foundations of mathematical learning and scientific learning.
What is a passing score for the PECT PreK-4 Certification Exam?
The exam scale is 100-300. The following are the passing scores for each module.
- Module 1: 197
- Module 2: 193
- Module 3: 193
What to expect on test day
The PECT PreK-4 certification exam is offered at Pearson Professional Centers. Below you will find some standard procedures and tips for test day.
- Please arrive at your testing location at least 15 minutes before your scheduled test time.
- It is encouraged to wear comfortable layers, so that you can adjust to the temperature.
- This is a computer-based test, so there will be a 15-minute tutorial before the test begins.
- All test-takers must bring an active, government-issued ID, with their name, photograph, and signature. Test administrators will not accept copies.
- If space is available, you will have a locker outside of the testing room to store your personal items.
- Electronics, cell phones, study materials, bags, and calculators are not allowed in the testing area.
- There is an on-screen calculator for module 3.
- You will be provided with your test results at the end of the exam. You will receive your score report within 10 days of testing.
How to prepare for the PECT PreK-4 Certification Exam
If you are looking for effective study materials, without the fluff, Mometrix has you covered!
The Mometrix PECT Study Guide provides you with an exact study plan, with all of the critical concepts on the exam. Our test research experts have found that learning the format of the exam, as well as test-taking techniques can really give students an advantage. So, the Mometrix PECT Study Guide also includes exclusive techniques that will help you use your time more effectively, avoid answer traps, and so much more!
For even more practice, the Mometrix PECT Flashcards are a fun way to quiz yourself, no matter where you are!
We understand how important this certification is for your career. Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your journey. We wish you the best of luck.
PECT PRE K-4 Nurse Study Guide
Mometrix Academy is a completely free resource provided by Mometrix Test Preparation. If you find benefit from our efforts here, check out our premium quality PECT PRE K-4 study guide to take your studying to the next level. Just click the PECT PRE K-4 study guide link below. Your purchase also helps us make even more great, free content for test-takers.