OCN Practice Test
The Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation (ONCC) Oncology Certified Nurse (OCN) exam was designed for registered nurses seeking to demonstrate their understanding of current knowledge and practice in oncology nursing and feel the personal accomplishment of earning OCN certification. The OCN exam tests your advanced knowledge and skills related to oncology nursing beyond the minimum knowledge and skills necessary to become an RN.
What is OCN certification?
While RN licensure demonstrates the requisite entry-level knowledge to begin working in the field, it does not necessarily demonstrate to your employers or patients your dedication to continuing your education and broadening your knowledge and skills. The OCN certification process is voluntary and provides your employers and patients with the assurance that you are dedicated to obtaining and maintaining specialty knowledge in oncology nursing. OCN certification also provides comfort to your patients and rewards to you as an RN. Certification, while voluntary, may be necessary for advancement into higher level roles in your organization and can help open additional professional opportunities, including potential income increases.
Free OCN Practice Test
Who is eligible to take the OCN exam?
In order to take the OCN exam, you must hold an active, current, unencumbered RN license in a state or territory of the United States or Canada. Potential test takers must also demonstrate at least one year (12 months) of practice and experience as a licensed RN, occurring within 3 years of completing the application for the exam. Additionally, applicants need to have completed at least 1,000 hours of adult oncology practice in nursing within 2.5 years prior to application. This practice needs to have been completed as a licensed RN and can be clinical, educational, administrative, or in a research capacity. Lastly, you need to have completed at least 10 hours of continuing nursing education in an oncology related area within the previous 3 years.
What are the costs associated with the OCN exam?
The full cost of the OCN exam is $416 for non-members. However, if you are a member of ONS/APHON, you will receive a discount, reducing the cost of the exam to $296. If you are an ONS/APHON member who is 65 years of age or older, the cost of the exam is $225. If you are not a member, but you are 65 years of age or older, the cost of the exam is $315. The ONCC website should be consulted for additional discounts based on date and timeframe.
How many questions are on the OCN exam?
There are 165 multiple-choice questions on the OCN exam, divided into six content areas, each weighted differently. Of the 165 questions, only 145 items count toward your score, because 20 are pretest questions designed to aid the test creators in determining what should be included in the exam. The content and structure of the exam will appear as follows:
- The first section covers continuum of care and is weighted at 19%. Questions will address health promotion, disease prevention, screening, early detection, advanced care planning, epidemiology, survivorship, rehabilitation, treatment considerations, and end-of-life care.
- The second section is weighted at 17% and covers oncology nursing practice, including questions on the scientific basis for carcinogenesis, immunology, and clinical trials, along with additional cancer considerations, classification, and prognosis; standards, scope and legal concerns; and professional performance and quality of practice.
- The third section covers modalities of treatment and is weighted at 19%. Questions cover surgery, blood and marrow transplants, chemotherapy and radiation, biotherapy and immunotherapy, and vascular access devices (VADs).
- The fourth section is weighted at 23% and contains questions related to etiology and symptoms, surgical and anatomical alterations, pharmacology and intervention, palliative care, alterations in systems functioning (immune, gastrointestinal, respiratory, etc.), and other modalities.
- The fifth section is weighted at 12% and is comprised of questions regarding oncology emergencies, including DIC, SIADH, sepsis, tumor lysis, anaphylaxis, pneumonitis, spinal cord compression, and other syndromes and conditions.
- The sixth and final section of the OCN exam is weighted at 10%, and covers psychosocial dimensions of care related to cultural diversity, including spiritual and religious concerns; financial concerns; body image issues; learning styles and barriers; coping mechanisms and social relationships; and support-related concerns.
What is a passing score on the OCN exam?
The OCN exam is scored on a scale, which means it is not a percentage score. A scaled score of 55 is passing for the OCN exam.
Having a thorough understanding of the content and structure of the OCN exam is the first step toward earning your OCN certification. Getting enough sleep before the exam and taking care of yourself physically will aid in your success on exam day. However, the most effective means of ensuring you perform well on the OCN exam is to prepare using the best test preparation materials you can find. This is where Mometrix steps in.
Mometrix Test Preparation offers a comprehensive OCN exam study guide: OCN Secrets. In this guide you get actual OCN exam questions that help you recall the material you already know and achieve the score necessary to earn your certification. The OCN Secrets study guide was written by Mometrix Test Preparation’s standardized test researchers, who have discovered the secrets of the OCN exam and are able to impart to you the most effective methods to reduce your stress, pass the exam, and become an OCN.
In addition to the OCN Secrets study guide, Mometrix also provides you with the OCN Exam Flashcard Study System, which includes additional comprehensive OCN Exam Practice Test questions. Earn the best score you can earn on the OCN exam by thoroughly preparing, studying, and testing yourself with real OCN exam content. Read the OCN Secrets study guide, test your knowledge with the OCN Exam Flashcard Study System and Practice Test, and get the score you need to pass the OCN exam and become an OCN. You have the knowledge and skills; now you need the certification.
OCN Study Guide
Mometrix Academy is a completely free OCN certification resource provided by Mometrix Test Preparation. If you find benefit from our efforts here, check out our premium quality OCN study guide to take your studying to the next level. Just click the OCN study guide link below. Your purchase also helps us make even more great, free content for test-takers.
Mometrix Academy – Home
Provided by: Mometrix Test Preparation
Last updated: 06/18/2018
Find us on Twitter: Follow @Mometrix