NYSTCE Multiple Subjects 1-6 Exam
First grade. Lots of parents look at this as the start of real school, where their children begin to learn the basics of reading, math, and the sciences. These lessons will grow more detailed and complex throughout their school career, so it’s important to start with a solid learning foundation. Educators in New York who want to teach at this grade level must pass the New York State Teacher Certification Examinations (NYSTCE) Multi-Subject: Teachers of Childhood (Grade 1 – Grade 6) exam. What’s on the test? What study materials should I use to help me prepare? This guide answers those questions.
How many subject areas are on the NYSTCE Multi-Subject: Teachers of Childhood (Grade 1- Grade 6) test?
There are three subject areas on this computer-based test: Literacy and English Language Arts, Mathematics, and Arts and Sciences.
How is the exam structured?
Candidates can take all three tests on the same day or take them one at a time.
Do all the test have the same number of questions and test times?
No. There are significant differences in each test. Here’s a breakdown:
Literacy and English Language Arts
- Number of items: 40 selected-response and one constructed-response item
- Test time: 2 hours
- Test fee: $65
- Score report: Approximately two to six weeks after the exam
Arts and Sciences
- Number of items: 40 selected-response items
- Test time: One hour
- Test fee: $49
- Score report: Unofficial score available at the exam’s conclusion. Official scores approximately two to six weeks after the exam
Can I take all three portions of the test on the same day?
Yes. I that case, you would have 5 hours and 30 minutes -including breaks – to finish the test, and the exam fee would be $179.
Can I bring my own calculator and use it when taking the math test?
No. Candidates will have access to an on-screen calculator.
What is the exam’s passing score?
Candidates must score at least 520 on all three parts of the exam to pass.
What are the content areas on the NYSTCE Multi-Subject: Teachers of Childhood (Grade 1- Grade 6) test?
Educators are assessed in the following categories and competencies:
Literacy and English Language Arts
- Knowledge of Literacy & Language Arts focuses on language and literacy development, literacy assessment principles and practices, and literary processes
- Instruction in Foundational Literacy Skills focuses on developing various skills, including decoding and text comprehension
- Instruction in English Language Arts focuses on reading literature and informational text, and instruction in writing and speaking and listening
- Analysis, Synthesis, and Application focuses on how to use literary assessment data to plan instruction
- Numbers and operations includes whole numbers, fractions, and algebraic thinking
- Ratios and Proportional Relationships and Number Systems focuses on multiplication and division, and ratios and rates, and the connections between them.
- Algebra, Measurement, Geometry, and Data includes the teacher’s ability to work with algebraic expressions
- Instruction in Mathematics focuses on the concept of numbers, operations, and algebraic thinking
- Analysis, Synthesis, and Application assesses the teacher’s ability to understand the strengths and weaknesses of students
Arts and Sciences:
- Science and Technology includes math, science and technology and the themes that connect them.
- Social Studies includes economic and political systems, citizenship responsibilities, and historical turning points in New York State, the United States and the World.
- Fine Arts, Health and Fitness, Family and Consumer Science, and Career Development contains several topics that include health-related concepts, child development, and family and interpersonal relationships.
On what days can I take the test?
Candidates may take the exam Monday through Saturday, year-round, except for certain holidays.
Where are the testing centers located?
New York uses a private company to deliver the test to candidates. The company has offices at multiple locations throughout the state and the country.
I really need to study for this test. What preparation materials should I buy?
The study materials by Mometrix have been created by professionals in the test-taking field. Our study guide will offer valuable tips on how to prepare for the test, how to avoid test anxiety, and how the questions themselves can lead you to the right answer. This is such a complex test you’ll need lots of study time and that’s where our portable flashcards come in. Take them everywhere you go and study when you just have a few minutes. These are the perfect tools to help prepare for the NYSTCE Multi-Subject: Teachers of Childhood (Grade 1- Grade 6) test.
NYSTCE Study Guide
Mometrix Academy is a completely free NYSTCE test resource provided by Mometrix Test Preparation. If you find benefit from our efforts here, check out our premium quality NYSTCE Study Guide and NYSTCE Flash Cards to take your studying to the next level. Just click the NYSTCE study guide link below. Your purchase also helps us make even more great, free test content for test-takers.
Mometrix Academy – Home
Provided by: Mometrix Test Preparation
Last updated: 12/24/2018