Medical Technologist Practice Test
For those wishing to be a certified medical technologist, a certification exam is required. The purpose of this exam is to make sure that each applicant is qualified and has the knowledge and skills needed to excel in that career. The test will take three and a half hours to complete.
There are four ways in which you can go about being certified for this position. The first three of these require you to take the certification exam. The fourth provides that another exam of equal importance has been taken and successfully passed. Below you will find the eligibility requirements of each of the four routes to becoming a certified medical technologist.
- All applicants must have a baccalaureate degree in medical technology from an accredited institution recognized by a regional or national accreditation agency. This must have been obtained in the last five years.
- Acceptable education programs must include at least one year of clinical laboratory experience in Blood Banking, Chemistry, Hematology, and Microbiology.
- Clinical laboratory experience must be obtained during employment and not during training within the last five years.
- All applicants must have a baccalaureate degree in medial technology from an accredited institution recognized by a regional or national accreditation agency or have an equivalent degree from a foreign institution that is approved by AMT (American Medical Technologists)
- They must also have completed an accredited medical laboratory technician (MLT) or a 50-week US MLT training program.
- Applicants must have a minimum of one year of approved clinical laboratory experience.
- Alternate Education
- All applicants must have a baccalaureate degree in medical technology from an accredited institution recognized by a regional or national accreditation agency or have an equivalent degree from a foreign institution that is approved by AMT.
- They must have completed 35 semester hours of coursework related to clinical laboratory services such as organic chemistry, biochemistry, biological science, microbiology, mathematics, etc.
- They must have completed an accredited medical technology training program leading to their baccalaureate degree or completed at least one year of approved clinical laboratory experience within the last five years.
- Another Recognized Exam
- Applicants must have successfully taken a generalist MT exam given by another certification organization or state licensure agency that is approved of by AMT.
- The applicant’s certification must be active.
- Documented past year of education and last five years of work history is required.
- No exam in necessary
Check Out Mometrix's Medical Technologist Study Guide
Get practice questions, video tutorials, and detailed study lessonsGet Your Study Guide
What Is The Application Process?
The application to take the MT certification exam can be done online. At the time of application, you must submit a fee of $180 to take the exam. This is non-refundable and secures your application validity for up to one year.
Once your application has been approved, you will receive an Authorization to Test letter from AMT. You will then be able to schedule your exam.
If you are taking the exam at your school, your instructor will give you all the information needed about the testing date, time, and place.
All other applicants must register to schedule their exam through Pearson at pearsonvue.com/amt or by calling them. You may schedule your exam at a time and place that is most convenient for you at several locations throughout the U.S., including on some military bases.
What Should I Bring?
You will need to bring two matching forms of identification. Both must contain your signature and one must have a photo. Acceptable valid forms of ID are:
- Driver’s license
- State ID card
- Military ID
You must also bring your authorization letter to the testing site.
It is important to arrive at least 30 minutes early. Arriving late, not showing up, or canceling in the last 24 hours will ensure that you reschedule and pay a retesting fee of $110.
What The Exam Covers?
The MT certification exam consists of 200-230 multiple choice questions on the following topics. You will be given a total of 3.5 hours to complete it.
- General Laboratory 12%
- Clinical Chemistry 19%
- Hematology 13%
- Coagulation and Hemostasis 7%
- Immunology and Serology 9%
- Immunohematology 10%
- Blood Banking and Transfusion Services 6%
- Microbiology 15%
- Urinalysis and Body Fluids 9%
When Do I Receive My Scores?
You will receive your scores as soon as you have completed the exam by computer. If you have passed, your official certificate and card will be mailed to you within 7-14 days.
If your application is waiting for any documents, your certificate and card will not be mailed to you until all the necessary documents have been received. You are not considered certified until you have received your official documentation from AMT.
How To Prepare?
Mometrix has prepared a study guide and set of flash cards to help you prepare for and make the most of this exam. These will include sample questions so that you are familiar with the formatting, wording, and style of the exam. Both would be a great asset for your testing experience.
Check Out Mometrix's Medical Technologist Flashcards
Get complex subjects broken down into easily understandable conceptsGet Your Flashcards
Medical Technologist Study Guide
Mometrix Academy is a completely free med tech certification resource provided by Mometrix Test Preparation. If you find benefit from our efforts here, check out our premium quality Medical Technologist study guide to take your studying to the next level. Just click the Medical Technologist study guide link below. Your purchase also helps us make even more great, free content for test-takers.
Medical Technologist Study Guide Customer Success StoriesOur customers love the tutorial videos from Mometrix Academy that we have incorporated into our Medical Technologist study guide. The Medical Technologist study guide reviews below are examples of customer experiences.
The Medical Technologist Exam Secrets Study Guide is fantastic! I've been using this book for the past month or so to refresh my memory. I really like this book because it is organized into sections such as microbiology, chemistry, hematology, and etc. Then in each section it has its own categories such as the tests being performed, the results that occur, quality assurance problems, and so on. For this guide, I really like the detail and the simplicity that is presented in this book. It states exactly what points you need to know without going into too much detail. Therefore, it has been a huge help with studying to take the exam and I would definitely recommend it.Medical Technologist Study Guide – Customer
I received the book by mail yesterday and so far I'm really enjoying it. I'm preparing for my course/lab work ahead of time before I begin school. I wanted to prepare for classes before they begin so I don't have to "cram". So far, I've only covered some of Blood Banking. It has been very informative and easy to understand. Flipping through more of the book, I can tell that it will be very helpful. I know I will be ahead of the game once classes begin. Thank you for making this book. It's perfect for my preparation!Medical Technologist Study Guide – Customer
I love that everything is explained and can be easily comprehended even if you haven't been in a lab for a whileMedical Technologist Study Guide – Denise
It really summarizes the information in an easy to understand manner. The practice test is very helpful as well.Medical Technologist Study Guide – Luis
Great study guide! Especially the portion which explains strategy and techniques for test taking in general. After reading this part, I realized several steps which I had never used prior that would have produced better scores on every test I ever took. Simple steps that are very easy to utilize! Love this book!Medical Technologist Study Guide – Jason
I get overwhelmed easily with an abundance of information. This book actually gets to the point of what we need to focus on during study, and weeds out the "extra" information. It is designed in a way to where the information is easy to remember/study.Medical Technologist Study Guide – Customer
I am enjoying the simplicity of this guide. As it states in description, there is not alot of " Fluff ". It is easy to read and follow and is organized well.Medical Technologist Study Guide – Kim