The Master Addiction Counselor (MAC) exam is administered by the IC&RC to assess the knowledge and skills of professionals working within certain disciplines.
Click “Start Test” above to take a free MAC exam practice test, and check out our premium-quality Master Addiction Counselor test prep resources by clicking the links below!
MAC Exam Eligibility
To be eligible for the MAC exam, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must hold at least a Masters degree in Substance Use Disorders/Addiction or a related counseling subject
- You must hold a current credential/license as a Substance Use Disorders/Addiction counselor or professional counselor
- You must have a minimum of three years full-time Substance Use Disorders/Addiction counseling experience
- You must have a minimum of 500 contact hours of education and training in Substance Use Disorders/Addiction
MAC Exam Outline
The MAC exam contains 150 multiple-choice questions and has a time limit of three hours. The questions are designed to assess your knowledge and skills in the following topic areas:
- Treatment admission
- Legal, ethical and professional growth issues
- Ongoing treatment planning
- Counseling services
- Discharge and continuing care
- Physiology and psychopharmacology
- Clinical assessment
- Case management
The exam is split into five sections:
- Orientation to the Treatment Process (11%)
- Assessment (23%)
- Ongoing Treatment Planning and Implementation (23%)
- Addiction Counseling Practices and Skills (23%)
- Professional Practices (20%)
Check Out Mometrix's Master Addiction Counselor Printed Study Guide
Get practice questions, video tutorials, and detailed study lessonsGet Your Study Guide
MAC Exam Registration
Before registering for the exam, you must submit an application to and be approved by the National Certification Commission for Addiction Professionals (NCC AP). Once you are approved and you have paid the $235 application fee, NCC AP will forward you a code and link to take the exam.
On the day of your exam, you should arrive at the testing facility 15-30 minutes before the scheduled exam time. Once you arrive, you will be asked to present two forms of valid identification, one of which must be a photo ID.
Personal items will not be allowed into the testing center, so it is best to leave things like bags, notebooks, and food items at home or in your car.
On the day of your exam, you should log in to your Webassessor account and click on your exam, which will be listed in the Scheduled Exams section. Before your exam begins, you will be asked to show two forms of valid identification to the remote proctor via your webcam. You will also be asked by the remote proctor to use your webcam to scan your testing area.
Personal items will not be allowed on your desk/table while you take the exam. This includes your cell phone, notebooks, and food items.
MAC Exam Scoring
You will be emailed an unofficial score report once the exam is complete, and an official score report will be sent to the NCC AP.
To pass this exam, you must answer at least 112 questions correctly (75%).
Retaking the MAC Exam?
If you fail the exam and wish to retake it, you must contact your state board to register for another testing attempt. You will also need to pay the full testing fee for each retake.
Check Out Mometrix's Master Addiction Counselor Flashcards
Get complex subjects broken down into easily understandable conceptsGet Your Flashcards
How many questions are on the MAC exam?
There are 150 multiple-choice questions on the exam.
How long is the MAC exam?
The time limit for the exam is three hours.
What is the passing score for the MAC exam?
To pass the exam, you must answer at least 75% of the questions correctly.
How much does the MAC exam cost?
The application fee is $235.