Informatics Nurse Practice Test
The Informatics Nursing board certification exam is an opportunity for healthcare professionals to demonstrate competence, entry-level knowledge, and skills in the field of nursing informatics. The Informatics Nursing board certification, which is administered by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), helps professionals advance in their career, as well as achieve international recognition.
Registered nurses who successfully pass the exam receive the Registered Nurse-Board Certification (RN-BC) credential. The RN-BC credential is valid for 5 years and has accreditation from The National Commission for Certifying Agencies and the Accreditation Board for Specialty Nursing Certification.
Who is eligible to take the Nursing Informatics Certification exam?
Candidates who are interested in applying for the Informatics Nursing Certification exam must meet the following requirements:
- Have at least a bachelor's degree in nursing or a related field
- Have a current, active RN license in a state or territory of the United States or have the equivalent license in another country
- Have 2 years of full-time experience as a registered nurse
- Have completed 30 hours of continuing education in informatics nursing within the last 3 years
- Have completed one of the following practice hour requirements
- At least 1,000 hours in informatics nursing within the last 3 years and at least 12 semester hours of academic credit in informatics courses for a graduate-level informatics nursing program.
- At least 2,000 hours in informatics nursing within the last 3 years
- At least 200 hours of faculty-supervised practicum in informatics nursing for a graduate program in informatics nursing
How much is the Informatics Nursing Certification exam?
The testing fees for the Informatics Nursing Certification exam are as follows:
- American Nurses Association members: $270
- Non-members: $395
The testing fees listed above include $140 non-refundable administration fee.
How to apply for the Informatics Nursing Certification exam
To apply for the exam, go to the ANCC website. Candidates are required to submit verification documents like official and unofficial transcripts. After applying, candidates will have 90 days to schedule their exam at a nearby Prometric testing location.
How long is the Informatics Nursing Certification exam?
Candidates have 3.5 hours to complete 175 questions (150 scored and 25 pretest questions).
The Retesting Policy for the Informatics Nursing Certification exam
If you have to retake the exam, please wait 5 days before applying for a retest. There is a 60-day window before you can take the retest. You may take the exam up to 3 times in a 12-month period. You may be required to resubmit supporting documentation.
The retest fee is $270.
What topics are covered on the Informatics Nursing Certification exam?
The Informatics Nursing exam, which consists of 175 questions, is divided into the following categories:
1.Foundations of Practice.This section makes up 55% of the exam, with 77 questions. Some of the concepts in this section include:
- Legal issues
- Security and confidentiality regulations
- Workflow tools
- Professional organizations
2. System Design Life CycleThis section makes up 28% of the exam, with 42 questions. Some of the concepts included in this section are:
- Coordinating project plans
- Systems maintenance
- Strategic planning
- Clinical workflow analysis
3. Data Management and Health Care TechnologyThis section makes up 21% of the exam, with 31 questions. Some of the concepts in this section include:
- Downtime and disaster recovery
- Backup processes
- Healthcare technology trends
- Clinical devices and equipment
What to expect on test day
On test day, candidates are encouraged to arrive at the testing facility at least 30 minutes before the start of the exam. Please bring an active ID, with a photograph and signature. The exam is 3.5 hours, with 175 questions.
How to prepare for the Informatics Nursing Certification exam
It's natural to feel overwhelmed when it's time to prepare for a test. To ease your anxiety and build your confidence, our test research experts carefully developed Mometrix Informatics Nursing exam study materials that guide you from the time you start studying until the test is complete!
The Mometrix Informatics Nursing Study Guide includes in-depth explanations of all the critical topics found on the exam including system functions, models, and strategies. Our experts found that understanding the information is only half of the battle, so the study guide includes test-taking techniques that help you understand the format of the exam. With these techniques, you will be able to answer questions more effectively and avoid common traps.
For even more practice, you can use the Mometrix Informatics Nursing Flashcards. These flashcards feature readable font, so that you can absorb the information more quickly. The Mometrix Informatics Nursing Flashcards are also ideal for students who would like to study on the go!
Best of luck on your journey to receiving the Registered Nurse-Board Certification (RN-BC) credential!
Informatics Nurse Exam Questions
Informatics Nurse Study Guide
Mometrix Academy is a completely free resource provided by Mometrix Test Preparation. If you find benefit from our efforts here, check out our premium quality Informatics Nurse study guide to take your studying to the next level. Just click the Informatics Nurse study guide link below. Your purchase also helps us make even more great, free content for test-takers.