Family Psychiatric & Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Practice Test
Psychiatric and mental health nurse practitioners can work in a variety of settings to care for mental health patients of all ages. After completing the requisite academic program and training, candidates are able to take the Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner exam to become certified.
What Are the Eligibility Requirements?
To be eligible to take the exam, you will need a valid registered nurse license, graduate degree (master’s or higher) from a psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner academic program accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) or the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) with at least 500 clinical hours.
What is the Application Process?
You can apply anytime either by submitting an application online or via mail. You will need to submit official transcripts with your application and take the exam within 90 days of receiving your exam authorization.
What is the Exam Fee?
The fee to take the Psychiatric and mental health nurse certification exam is $395 for non-members and $295 for members of the American Nurses Association.
What Is the Exam Format?
The exam is delivered via computer and offered year-round at authorized testing centers. You will have four hours to complete the 200 questions that make up the exam. Your score will be based on 175 of the questions. The additional 25 questions are evaluated as pretest questions. They are distributed randomly throughout the exam so you must answer every question. There is no penalty for an incorrect answer. It cannot hurt to guess if you’re not sure which answer is correct.
How Is the Exam Scored?
You will receive your test results at the test center immediately after completing the test. Results are reported as pass or fail. In cases of failure, score reports include information on performance on each content area of the exam.
What Do You Need on Exam Day?
You will need valid identification with photo and signature. You may not bring any personal items into the test center. This includes cell phones or any electronic devices, purses, bags, notebooks, calculators, food, and water. You should plan to arrive at the test center at least 15 minutes before your scheduled exam time. You will have time to become familiar with the computer system prior to the start of the exam.
What is the Content of the Exam?
Exam questions are distributed across the following domains:
Foundations for Advanced Practice Nursing (29%)Questions in this domain will evaluate your knowledge and skills in:
- Advanced anatomy, physiology, and neurobiology, including the ability to understand the changes that accompany pathologies and interpreting diagnostic assessment results
- Advanced pharmacology and psychopharmacology, including understanding how pharmacologic agents work and their treatment applications in mental health patients
- Advanced health assessment, including how to conduct a complete physical exam and health assessment and understand how they apply to mental health
- Epidemiology and risk analysis, including understanding the prevalence of disorders across population groups and the risk factors that contribute to mental health disorders
- Patient-centered care, including understanding how a patient’s history, background, preferences, and lifestyle can be applied to inform treatment
- Psychotherapy, including how to choose evidenced-based treatment and psychotherapies
Professional Role and Policy (40%)Questions in this domain will evaluate your knowledge and abilities relating to:
- Leadership, including professionalism, advocacy, collaboration, communication, and innovation
- Using evidence-based methods to improve quality of care and create a culture of excellence and safety
- Applying research-backed practices to improve health outcomes
- Understanding the role of health policy in practice and the importance of advocating for greater access to quality, cost-effective care and of reducing the effect of stigma on mental health treatment
- Appropriate uses of information technology and the ability to translate technical information to guide decision making
- Understanding and applying organizational practices to improve care
- Understanding and applying current regulations, ethical guidelines, and standards to guide care decisions
Independent Practice Competencies (31%)
- Questions in this domain will evaluate your understanding of and abilities relating to:
- Health promotion and disease prevention, including risk assessment and the selection of appropriate targeted prevention activities
- Advanced psychiatric and mental health assessment, including the selection and application of appropriate screening and diagnostic tools and knowledge of current diagnostic criteria
- Choosing and implementing evidence-based treatment modalities that meet current standards of care to treat and manage disorders and symptoms, including the handling of psychiatric emergencies and the use of both pharmacotherapies and alternative treatment
What’s the Best Way to Prepare for the Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Exam?
The 200 questions you will face on the exam cover a broad spectrum of content. You should prepare strategically so you’ll be ready. The experts at Mometrix have created two products to help you to meet the challenge. The Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Exam Secrets Study Guide and the Nurse Practitioner Exam Flashcards are carefully researched and designed to serve as your roadmap to success on exam day. These tools not only reinforce the content you have learned in your coursework but also teach you how to apply that knowledge while using proven test-taking strategies. The Exam Secrets Study Guide includes practice test questions and essential fact sheets to help you use your study time most effectively. A companion to the Guide, the Flash Cards Study System is an easily portable tool for on-the-go study of the most critical information for the exam. Together, these two study aids will help you prepare strategically and succeed with confidence on exam day.
Psychiatric -- Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Exam Prep
Family Psychiatric & Mental Health Nurse Study Guide
Mometrix Academy is a completely free resource provided by Mometrix Test Preparation. If you find benefit from our efforts here, check out our premium quality Family Psychiatric & Mental Health Nurse Practitioner study guide to take your studying to the next level. Just click the Family Psychiatric & Mental Health Nurse Practitioner study guide link below. Your purchase also helps us make even more great, free content for test-takers.
Upgrade your studying with our Family Psychiatric & Mental Health Nurse study guide and flashcards:
Family Psychiatric & Mental Health Nurse Study Guide
Family Psychiatric & Mental Health Nurse Flashcards
NP Family PMH Study Guide Customer Success StoriesOur customers love the tutorial videos from Mometrix Academy that we have incorporated into our NP Family PMH test study guide. The NP Family PMH study guide reviews below are examples of customer experiences.
The products are readers friendly with concise explanations. The flash card is portable and can be carried with me anywhere I go.NP Family PMH Study Guide – David
I've taken several PMHNP review courses recently and this study guide provided me with additional study essentials in the "Test Taking Tips", "General Strategies" and "Secret Keys" sections. The study guide provided both a succinct review of familiar material and also included new information I didn't have in my Post-Graduate program or other review courses! The exam review provided refreshing new questions with thorough explanations. It's definitely a valuable resource to include in preparation for the certification exam. The online resources were also relevant material for the advanced practice nurse to use. I highly recommend it!NP Family PMH Study Guide – Patricia
I purchased the Family Psychiatric & Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Exam Flashcard Study System. I am elated over the product. I have had such a hard time finding tools to help me study for the PMHNP exam. There are just not enough items on the market to help with this specific Nurse Practitioner prep. I have found the Flashcard Study System easy to use and it covers ALL aspects I needed to study. I found the pricing reasonable and all interactions with Mometrix to be the best customer service.NP Family PMH Study Guide – Nicole
I thought the information in this study guide was helpful and comprehensive. I was surprised with the amount of material that was covered, and it was more than I expected.NP Family PMH Study Guide – Arkady
I purchased the Family Psychiatric & Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Exam Secrets (printed book) and the Family Psychiatric & Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Flashcards to assist me with my midterm and final examinations and ultimately my Board certifications. They have been great resources so far enabling me to be successful in all my courses. I bought these same products for my Psychiatric Nurse Certification in 2012 and I passed those 175 questions with no effort even though I was engaged in my Masters in Nursing Education curriculum at the same time. These products did it for me, they will do it for you. All contents are relevant. Thanks to Mometrix, I am board certified in Psychiatry and will be a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner soon.NP Family PMH Study Guide – Arnella
I purchased the Family Psychiatric and Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Exam Secrets Study Guide and the Flashcard Study System. I really find that the study guide is very helpful to me. On a scale from 1-5,I find it to be an 5 it is easy to read and follow the questions.I also found that the flash cards had a lot of important information that could help in remembering material that is needed for my exam.NP Family PMH Study Guide – Patricia
I bought the Family Psychiatric & Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Exam SECRETS study guide (Mometrix Test Preparation). I love this review book because it tells me exactly what I am required to know on any topic for the exam. It teaches current exam techniques, skills and decision making in the exam. I will recommend it to many.NP Family PMH Study Guide – Josiah
I purchased Secrets Study Guide, Family Psychiatric & Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Exam to study/review for exam fall 2016. There is indeed no "fluff". the content is succinct, to the point with just enough information to reach understanding of the concepts. The review is thorough. It has a practice test and pointers on test taking but the review is awesome. I would definitely recommend.NP Family PMH Study Guide – Laura
This book gave a great overview of all material studied throughout multiple years in nurse practitioner school in a condensed version. It allowed me to study this material in a methodical way to cover all areas needed for the exam. I really enjoyed the review questions with rationale section to practice these type of questions before taking the certification exam. I really thought this was a helpful resource.NP Family PMH Study Guide – Ashley