Esthetician Exam Practice Test
People with skin problems will often seek out a specialist for treatment. Specialists at the top of their field have taken the National Esthetics Theory Examination. It’s a licensure test developed by the Interstate Council of State Boards of Cosmetology (NIC). It certifies that these professionals understand complex subjects such as areas of the face that include muscles and bones, the neck and shoulders, and even understand skin microbiology. There’s a lot to this challenging test, and this guide provides an exam overview. We also have an outstanding Esthetician Exam study guide that can help you prepare for the exam.
|Esthetician Exam Study Guide||Esthetician Exam Flashcards|
What’s on the National Esthetics Theory Examination?
The test has two sections: Scientific concepts and skin care and services.
Scientific concepts contain 55 percent of all test questions, and includes:
- Infection control procedures knowledge as it relates to: Microbiology (bacteria, viruses, etc.); Controlling infection, including infection control levels and methods; and Guidelines for safety procedures, which include what to do when exposed to blood
- Basic understanding of human physiology and anatomy as it relates to: Cell structure, growth and reproduction; Tissues (connective, nerve, etc.); Organs, systems and their functions
- Skin histology and physiology, including: Layers of the skin and glands (structure and function of both); Hair follicle structure; Skin functions
- Demonstrates knowledge of body hair composition, including: Hair structure and growth; Hair growth abnormalities
- Chemistry as it relates to cosmetic products, including ingredients, labeling and more.
Skin Care and Services accounts for the other 45 percent of the test with these content areas:
How to perform a client consultation with appropriate documentation. That includes:
- The analysis of the skin, including type and condition
- Handling the records of clients, including intake and consult charts
- Protocols involving treatment
- Skin services to withhold (contraindication)
Check Out Mometrix's Esthetician Study Guide
Get practice questions, video tutorials, and detailed study lessonsGet Your Study Guide
These content areas are also included:
- Cleansing procedures understanding
- Knowledge of steaming procedures, including towel and steam
- Exfoliation procedures, including chemical and physical
- Extraction procedures knowledge
- The effects of massage movements
- Using various masks, including clay/mud and gel
- Methods and procedures related to hair removal, including waxing and tweezing
- Makeup application principles and procedures including face shapes and features analysis, applications and color theory
- How to use equipment during skin services covers items that include lamps (magnifying and Wood’s), facial steamer/vaporizer and LED therapy.
- Understands services related to body treatments and eyelash extensions
How long do I have to complete the National Esthetics Theory Examination?
Candidates have 90 minutes to finish the exam.
What items are prohibited in the testing room?
As with most tests, there is a long list of items that candidates can’t bring into the testing room. They include mobile phones, tablets, computers, cameras — really, any electronic device. No printed materials or notes are allowed. Make sure to check for a complete list of banned items.
What materials should I bring with me on the day of the test?
Candidates must bring three containers, each with a specific label. Those labels are “to be disinfected,” “soiled items,” and “trash.”
Additionally, the Interstate Council of State Boards of Cosmetology recommends candidates bring supplies they’ll need during the exam. Those supplies include hand sanitizer, paper towels, astringent or toner, gloves and tweezers. Consult the Interstate Council of State Boards of Cosmetology website for a complete list of supplies.
Are all tests the same?
No. States may have different test requirements. For example, some states require the use of a model or mannequin during the exam. Make sure to check your local jurisdiction’s requirements.
What identification should I bring on the day of my exam?
Bring your candidate admission notice and present a government-issued ID that contains a photo and a signature.
How much are the exam fees?
Fees will vary by state, so check with your licensing board.
This is the career I want. What are the best study materials I can buy?
Mometrix has the material that will help you prepare for the National Esthetics Theory Examination. Our materials include a study guide that will walk you though what you can expect on this test. From tips on how to solve test problems, to insights on how to get through questions with ease, this study guide has it all. We also have a flashcard system that’s invaluable for candidates who must study on the go. These portable cards provide practice test questions and answers. Combined, these are the two best study tools you can get.
Check Out Mometrix's Esthetician Flashcards
Get complex subjects broken down into easily understandable conceptsGet Your Flashcards
Esthetician Exam Study Guide
Mometrix Academy is a completely free Esthetician Exam test resource provided by Mometrix Test Preparation. If you find benefit from our efforts here, check out our premium quality Esthetician Exam Study Guide and Esthetician Exam Flash Cards to take your studying to the next level. Just click the Esthetician Exam study guide link below. Your purchase also helps us make even more great, free test content for test-takers.
Esthetician Study Guide Customer Success StoriesOur customers love the tutorial videos from Mometrix Academy that we have incorporated into our Esthetician test study guide. The Esthetician study guide reviews below are examples of customer experiences.
I really enjoyed the information I’ve read. I do feel this book has helped me in the areas I am weak. This is one of the best study guides.Esthetician Study Guide – Customer
This book is great it's easy to follow. I'm still in the process of reading it. But I'm not finding any glitches to my learning curves. I like the fact that I can review my questions see what I missed and re-study. I like the simple definitions in the beginning of the book explaining what each thing is very easy to understand. I have a memory problem but am finding this easy to follow and remember. Your instructions are excellent for the way to use the study Guide and 20 top tips are very helpful. I am recommending it to my fellow students at school. I am more confident now in taking my state board.
These materials and simply everything you need to complete your learning, with this summary of all study content, you will be secure of your learning with confidence to run the state board test and achieve high score.Esthetician Study Guide – Customer
The study material was great. It was informative and very detailed. It made understanding and recalling different terms much easier.Esthetician Study Guide – Margo
I am truly impressed with the Mometrix Esthetician Test Preparation book "Esthetician Exam Secrets - Study Guide. The book is well formatted in a logical manner. I particularly liked the following sections: Test Taking Tips - Pathogens - Practice Test. I now feel that I am better prepared to take the NCEA test and pass with flying colors.Esthetician Study Guide – Customer
I do love this book, it's smart and easy. This is the second study guide I've purchased (the first bombed, but this one rocks!!).Esthetician Study Guide – Amy
I like how the study guide summarizes the most important points and definitions. Appreciate there being practuce questions also! The tips at the end gave me more confidence on what and what not to worry about.Esthetician Study Guide – Customer
I bought the Esthetician Exam Secrets study guide and I give it 5 stars. It's straight to the point. All the meat and no potatoes. Very excited to have it assist me on this journey.Esthetician Study Guide – Hannah
Great structure to the topics with in-depth information. As well as that, the readings are easy to follow and easy to remember. Would recommend to anyone in need.Esthetician Study Guide – Customer