The Certified Healthcare Facility Manager (CHFM) certification exam is administered by AHA to assess the readiness of individuals to work in healthcare facility management.
Click “Start Test” above to take a free CHFM practice test, and check out our premium-quality CHFM test prep resources by clicking the links below!
To be eligible for the exam, you must meet ONE of the following requirements:
- You must have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and at least three years of associated engineering experience
- You must have an associate degree from an accredited college and five years of associated engineering experience
- You must have a high school diploma (or some equivalent) and at least seven years of associated engineering experience
Exam Outline Review
The CHFM exam contains 110 multiple-choice questions, 10 of which are unscored, and you will be given a time limit of 2 hours. The 10 unscored questions are used to evaluate the questions for future versions of the exam.
Each question on the exam is categorized into one of three levels of complexity:
- Recall (RE): The ability to recall or recognize specific information
- Application (AP): The ability to comprehend, relate or apply knowledge to new or changing situations (the majority of the exam is comprised of application-level questions)
- Analysis (AN): The ability to analyze and synthesize information, determine solutions, and/or evaluate the usefulness of a solution
The exam is split into five content areas.
- Compliance (33 scored questions)
- Healthcare Project Management (18 scored questions)
- Maintenance and Operations (27 scored questions)
- Finance Management (10 scored questions)
- Administration (12 scored questions)
Check out Mometrix's CHFM Study Guide
Get practice questions, video tutorials, and detailed study lessonsGet Your Study Guide
To register for the exam, you must first submit an application online. Your application does not have to include transcripts and proof of eligibility, but the AHA-CC may ask you to verify your eligibility as part of an audit. Your application must include the $425 application fee ($275 for ASHE/AHA members).
After your application is approved, you will receive an Authorization to Test (ATT). The ATT states that you have a four-month window to schedule your exam appointment. If you fail to schedule your exam within the 90-day window, you will forfeit your exam fee.
On the day of the exam, be sure to bring your Authorization to Test with you. It carries the unique identification number needed to take the CHFM exam and is necessary for testing room admission.
You should report to the assigned PSI test center 15-30 minutes before the scheduled testing time. If you arrive more than 15 minutes after the designated testing time, you will not be able to take the exam. If you fail to appear for an exam without providing the required two business days’ notice, your exam fees will be forfeited.
You will be asked to sign in and provide at least one form of valid photo ID. Once you have been approved, you will be asked to place all personal items in a secure locker outside the testing area.
Because some questions may necessitate calculations, you are allowed to use a silent, nonprogrammable calculator without a paper tape printer or an alpha keyboard.
How the Exam is Scored
The passing CHFM exam score is determined by using the modified Angoff method, which establishes the point worth of the questions based on the difficulty level that a panel of expert judges assigns to each question. This scoring method ensures that you receive the credit you deserve for answering more complex questions.
You will receive a pass/fail report before you leave the testing center, and an official score report will be made available within 2-4 weeks after testing.
Retaking the Exam
If you fail the exam, you may retake it as many times as you would like. For each retake, you must submit a new application and related fee.
Check out Mometrix's CHFM Flashcards
Get complex subjects broken down into easily understandable conceptsGet Your Flashcards
How many questions are on the CHFM certification exam?
There are 110 multiple-choice questions on the exam.
How long is the CHFM certification exam?
The time limit for the exam is 2 hours.
What is the passing score for the CHFM certification exam?
The passing score for this exam is not made public.
How much does the CHFM exam cost?
The application fee is $275 for ASHE/AHA members and $425 for non-members.