Certified Surgical Technologist Practice Test
The Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) certification is available for professionals who seek to demonstrate expertise in aseptic technique, patient care, and surgical procedures. Professionals who hold this certification have successfully passed the CST exam, which is administered by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA). The CST certification is accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA), adhering to the Standards for the Accreditation of Certification Programs.
The CST certification gives professionals the opportunity to increase their income, earn higher level positions, and gain nationwide recognition. The CST exam is based on practical knowledge, so it’s ideal for professionals with thorough experience and an educational background.
Who is eligible to take the Certified Surgical Technologist Exam?
To qualify for the Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) exam, candidates must meet one of the following requirements:
Completion of a Surgical Technology Program. During the candidate’s enrollment, the program must have had CAAHEP or ABHES accreditation. Candidates are required to submit one of the following documents:
- A copy of the graduation certificate
- Unofficial or official transcripts
- A notarized letter from the program director which includes the candidate’s name, date of graduation, and the degree information
Completion of a Military Training Program in Surgical Technology. Eligible programs must have had CAAHEP accreditation before, during, or after the candidate’s enrollment. To prove eligibility, candidates must submit one of the following documents:
- A copy of the graduation certificate
- A copy of DD214, which includes the state the program was completed
- A smart transcript
To find out if a program has CAAHEP or ABHES accreditation, check out the website.
How to apply for the Certified Surgical Technologist Exam
Candidates may submit an application through the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) website or by mail. The application fees are listed below.
- Association of Surgical Technologists (AST) members: $190
- Nonmembers: $290
NBSTSA does not provide refunds for ineligible candidates.
Exam Scheduling. After applicants are approved, they will receive an Authorization To Test (ATT) letter. Candidates must schedule their exam before the expiration date, which is stated in the ATT.
The CST exams are available at AMP and PSI testing centers. Candidates are allowed to take the test 3 times in a calendar year. The total testing fee is required each time candidates take the exam.
What topics are covered on the Certified Surgical Technologist Exam?
The CST examination covers the following topics:
- Pre-Operative Preparation
- Intra-Operative Procedures
- Post-Operative Procedures
- Administrative and Personnel
- Equipment Sterilization and Maintenance
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Advanced Principles of Microbiology
- Surgical Pharmacology and Anesthesia
The test includes 112 multiple-choice questions.
CST Exam Questions
What to expect on test day
The Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) exam is a computer-based exam, offered at AMP and PSI testing locations. The following are some tips and rules for test day:
- You must bring 2 unexpired forms of identification, which include your signature and name. One form must include a photograph. Acceptable forms of ID include a passport, military ID, driver’s license, state ID, social security card, student ID, and employment ID.
- You need to know your Social Security or identification number to gain access to the exam.
- Test administrators will provide you with pencils and scratch paper.
- Personal items, electronics, and study materials are not allowed in the testing area.
- The test is 4 hours with 112 questions. You are able to take a break but you will be using your test time.
- If you do not show up for your scheduled exam or fail to reschedule your exam two business days prior to the scheduled date, you will forfeit your testing fees.
How to prepare for the Certified Surgical Technologist Exam
If you are looking for easy-to-understand study materials for the CST certification exam, Mometrix has you covered! Our test experts found that traditional study techniques and cookie-cutter study guides are no longer effective. The Mometrix CST Study Guide provides you with a clear and concise study plan, which covers all of the critical concepts found on the exam. The Mometrix CST Study Guide also includes secret test-taking strategies that help you avoid answer traps and careless mistakes.
If you don’t have as much time to study or you want additional study sessions, the Mometrix CST Flashcards are perfect for you! These flashcards are designed with quality material and are small enough to study on the go. You can look forward to quickly learning about topics like angiography, myelography, and chemical cauterization agents.
We are excited about assisting you on your journey to becoming a Certified Surgical Technologist. We know you’ll get the results you want! Good luck!
Certified Surgical Technician Study Guide
Mometrix Academy is a completely free surgical tech certification resource provided by Mometrix Test Preparation. If you find benefit from our efforts here, check out our premium quality Certified Surgical Technologist study guide to take your studying to the next level. Just click the Certified Surgical Technologist study guide link below. Your purchase also helps us make even more great, free surgical technologist certification content for test-takers.