Certified Energy Manager Practice Test
The Certified Energy Manager (CEM) exam measures a candidate’s knowledge of the essential principles and practices of energy management. Upon completing all the requirements for this certification, you will be a stronger candidate when applying for jobs since you can demonstrate a high standard of performance and skill in your field.
Introduction to the Certified Energy Manager
Who Is Eligible to Take the CEM Exam?
Only candidates who meet certain requirements will be eligible to take the CEM exam. Eligibility can be established by fulfilling one of the six possible criteria:
- Hold a four-year degree in engineering or architecture and have at least three years of work experience in energy engineering or management.
- Hold a four-year degree in technology, physics, environmental science, or earth science and have at least four years of experience working in energy engineering or management.
- Hold a four-year degree in business or a similar field and have at least five years of work experience in energy engineering or management.
- Hold a two-year degree in energy management and have at least six years of work experience in energy engineering or management.
- Hold a two-year technical degree and have at least eight years of experience working in energy engineering or management.
- Have at least ten years of work experience in energy engineering or management.
How Long Will It Take to Complete the CEM Exam?
It is very important that you arrive early to check in before the exam. You should plan to arrive at least 30 minutes before your actual appointment. If you arrive late, you will not be allowed to take the exam, and you won’t be able to get your exam fee refunded.
You will then have a total of four hours to answer all 130 questions on the exam. All of the questions will be either multiple choice or true/false questions. Only 120 of the questions will count toward your score.
What Will I Be Tested On?
The CEM exam is a rigorous and comprehensive exam spanning a wide range of important concepts relevant to energy management. Here is a brief breakdown of the material that will be covered on the test:
- Codes and Standards – 5-8 Questions
- Energy Accounting and Economics – 14-18 Questions
- Energy Audits and Instrumentation – 14-19 Questions
- Electrical Systems – 7-9 Questions
- HVAC Systems – 7-9 Questions
- Motors and Drives – 7-8 Questions
- Industrial Systems – 5-8 Questions
- Building Envelope – 5-7 Questions
- CHP Systems and Renewable Energy – 5-7 Questions
- Fuel Supply and Pricing – 5-7 Questions
- Building Automation and Control Systems – 5-8 Questions
- High-Performance Buildings – 5-7 Questions
- Thermal Energy Storage Systems – 4-5 Questions
- Lighting Systems – 7-9 Questions
- Boiler and Steam Systems – 5-8 Questions
- Maintenance and Commissioning – 5-8 Questions
- Energy Savings Performance Contracting and Measurement and Verification – 5-7 Questions
How Will the CEM Exam Be Scored?
The scoring used for this certification is rather unique. In addition to your exam score, you will also be given a score for your application. So the minimum total score required will be a cumulative score based on both your application and your actual test results.
Your application will be scored according to three components:
- Professional registration (e.g. registered architect, professional engineer)
- Relevant work experience
You will need a minimum of 700 points on your application. The maximum possible score for your application is 1400. For the exam itself, you will need a minimum score of 700 (out of a possible 1152). So, your total cumulative score for the application and the exam needs to be at least 1400.
However, in order to get certified, you need to meet the minimum requirement for both parts. If you score below 700 on either your application or your exam, you will not receive certification even if your cumulative total is 1400.
What’s the Best Way to Prepare for the CEM Exam?
As part of the requirements before taking the test, you will be required to take a prep seminar that will go over the subjects covered on the exam. However, it is highly recommended that you also study on your own outside of the seminar.
For your own study sessions, you should pick up effective study aids like the Mometrix Study Guide and Mometrix Flashcards. These tools will not only supplement what you learn in the seminar but also provide plenty of practice questions to help you get comfortable with the kinds of questions you will see on the test.
In addition, to practice questions, you’ll also be able to use more creative studying strategies including study games that you can do using the flashcards. Finally, both the guide and flashcards include proven test-taking strategies and tips that will ensure you show up on test day ready to do your absolute best, even if you encounter a tricky or confusing question.
Certified Energy Manager (Exam Questions)
Certified Energy Manager Study Guide
Certified Energy Manager Customer Success StoriesOur customers love the tutorial videos from Mometrix Academy that we have incorporated into our Certified Energy Manager test study guide. The Certified Energy Manager study guide reviews below are examples of customer experiences.
It is a great study guide book that gives you somewhat of an idea what to expect on the test. The guide is very helpful in preparing you for the upcoming questions that will be similar to the test and it offers equations to help prepare for some of the math questions on the test.Certified Energy Manager – Customer
Very helpful resource that improved my confidence and knowledge base immensely prior to taking the CEM exam. Quick and to the point, but very informative and content-packed without being overwhelming.Certified Energy Manager – Customer
I have purchased both the Certified Energy Manager Exam Study Guide and the Certified Energy Manager Exam Flashcard Study System and have been very pleased with both. The subject topics are very thorough and to the point, which makes studying much easier, leading me to give both of these products a rating of 5.Certified Energy Manager – John
I purchased Certified Energy Manager Exam Secrets Study Guide. I rate the product a 5. I like the general background of the guide and the overall information. The test preparation in the back of the book was helpful. I have not taken test in a long time and this helped me with some great ideas on how to prepare for the test.Certified Energy Manager – Customer
This is a great guide to help you prepare for the Certified Energy Manager exam. It combines everything you need in one book: great in-depth reviews of the test material, a practice test with an answer and explanations key and it even gives you useful advice to help you get the most from your study sessions.Certified Energy Manager – Customer