Certified Energy Manager Practice Test
The Certified Energy Manager (CEM) exam measures a candidate’s knowledge of the essential principles and practices of energy management. Upon completing all the requirements for this certification, you will be a stronger candidate when applying for jobs since you can demonstrate a high standard of performance and skill in your field.
Who Is Eligible to Take the CEM Exam?
Only candidates who meet certain requirements will be eligible to take the CEM exam. Eligibility can be established by fulfilling one of the six possible criteria:
- Hold a four-year degree in engineering or architecture and have at least three years of work experience in energy engineering or management.
- Hold a four-year degree in technology, physics, environmental science, or earth science and have at least four years of experience working in energy engineering or management.
- Hold a four-year degree in business or a similar field and have at least five years of work experience in energy engineering or management.
- Hold a two-year degree in energy management and have at least six years of work experience in energy engineering or management.
- Hold a two-year technical degree and have at least eight years of experience working in energy engineering or management.
- Have at least ten years of work experience in energy engineering or management.
How Long Will It Take to Complete the CEM Exam?
It is very important that you arrive early to check in before the exam. You should plan to arrive at least 30 minutes before your actual appointment. If you arrive late, you will not be allowed to take the exam, and you won’t be able to get your exam fee refunded.
You will then have a total of four hours to answer all 130 questions on the exam. All of the questions will be either multiple choice or true/false questions. Only 120 of the questions will count toward your score.
Introduction to the Certified Energy Manager
What Will I Be Tested On?
The CEM exam is a rigorous and comprehensive exam spanning a wide range of important concepts relevant to energy management. Here is a brief breakdown of the material that will be covered on the test:
- Codes and Standards – 5-8 Questions
- Energy Accounting and Economics – 14-18 Questions
- Energy Audits and Instrumentation – 14-19 Questions
- Electrical Systems – 7-9 Questions
- HVAC Systems – 7-9 Questions
- Motors and Drives – 7-8 Questions
- Industrial Systems – 5-8 Questions
- Building Envelope – 5-7 Questions
- CHP Systems and Renewable Energy – 5-7 Questions
- Fuel Supply and Pricing – 5-7 Questions
- Building Automation and Control Systems – 5-8 Questions
- High-Performance Buildings – 5-7 Questions
- Thermal Energy Storage Systems – 4-5 Questions
- Lighting Systems – 7-9 Questions
- Boiler and Steam Systems – 5-8 Questions
- Maintenance and Commissioning – 5-8 Questions
- Energy Savings Performance Contracting and Measurement and Verification – 5-7 Questions
Certified Energy Manager (Exam Questions)
How Will the CEM Exam Be Scored?
The scoring used for this certification is rather unique. In addition to your exam score, you will also be given a score for your application. So the minimum total score required will be a cumulative score based on both your application and your actual test results.
Your application will be scored according to three components:
- Professional registration (e.g. registered architect, professional engineer)
- Relevant work experience
You will need a minimum of 700 points on your application. The maximum possible score for your application is 1400. For the exam itself, you will need a minimum score of 700 (out of a possible 1152). So, your total cumulative score for the application and the exam needs to be at least 1400.
However, in order to get certified, you need to meet the minimum requirement for both parts. If you score below 700 on either your application or your exam, you will not receive certification even if your cumulative total is 1400.
What’s the Best Way to Prepare for the CEM Exam?
As part of the requirements before taking the test, you will be required to take a prep seminar that will go over the subjects covered on the exam. However, it is highly recommended that you also study on your own outside of the seminar.
For your own study sessions, you should pick up effective study aids like the Mometrix Study Guide and Mometrix Flashcards. These tools will not only supplement what you learn in the seminar but also provide plenty of practice questions to help you get comfortable with the kinds of questions you will see on the test.
In addition, to practice questions, you’ll also be able to use more creative studying strategies including study games that you can do using the flashcards. Finally, both the guide and flashcards include proven test-taking strategies and tips that will ensure you show up on test day ready to do your absolute best, even if you encounter a tricky or confusing question.
Certified Energy Manager Study Guide
Mometrix Academy is a completely free CEM certification resource provided by Mometrix Test Preparation. If you find benefit from our efforts here, check out our premium quality Certified Energy Manager study guide to take your studying to the next level. Just click the Certified Energy Manager study guide link below. Your purchase also helps us make even more great, free content for test-takers.
Mometrix Academy – Home
Provided by: Mometrix Test Preparation
Last updated: 10/08/2018