The Arizona Educator Proficiency Assessment (AEPA) Principal exam is designed to measure the knowledge and skills that are essential for school principals in the state of Arizona.
Click “Start Test” above to take a free AEPA Principal practice test, and check out our premium-quality AEPA test prep resources by clicking the links below!
AEPA Principal Exam Outline
The AEPA Principal exam is made of two subtests, which you can take individually in two different sessions or all at once in one session. The the total combined time limit is 7 hours, and the total number of questions is 104.
This subtest contains 50 selected-response questions and two constructed-response questions, and you will be given a time limit of 3.5 hours.
The questions are grouped into two subareas:
I. Visionary Leadership, Collaboration, and Educational Contexts (50%)
- Developing and implementing a shred school vision and associated plans and goals to promote continuous and sustainable improvement and student learning and achievement
- The political, economic, cultural, and social contexts of education
- Using effective communication and collaboration skills to build productive and positive relationships
Fiscal and Operational Management and Legal/Ethical Guidelines (50%)
- Fiscal and operational management
- Laws, regulations, and judicial decisions that affect education in Arizona
- Behavior expectations and ethical guidelines for principals
This subtest also contains 50 selected-response questions and two constructed-response questions, and you will be given a time limit of 3.5 hours.
The questions in this subtest cover the following topics:
- Creating and sustaining a school culture and learning environment that is conducive to student learning
- Providing instructional leadership focused on effective teaching and learning
- Best instructional practices that promote academic success for every student
- Providing professional development opportunities and experiences that promote staff growth and improve learning for every student
- Organizational and human resources management that supports school improvement and ensures success for every student
Check out Mometrix's Study Guide
Get practice questions, video tutorials, and detailed study lessonsGet Your Study Guide
AEPA Principal Exam Registration
To register for the exam, you must create an online NES account via their website. Once your account has been created, you can use it to register for the AEPA Principal exam and schedule an exam date. When you register, you will need to pay the $140 fee for each subtest (or $280 for both subtests taken together).
On the day of your test appointment, you should arrive at the testing center 15-30 minutes early to allow time for the check-in process. When you arrive, you will be asked to sign in and provide at least one form of valid photo ID.
After the check-in process is complete, you will be asked to leave all personal items (cell phone, keys, wallet, accessories, etc.) in a locker outside the testing area.
Once you enter the testing room, you will be given a brief tutorial on the testing system before the exam begins.
How the AEPA Principal Exam is Scored
Your AEPA Principal test results are reported as scaled scores based on your total raw score points from both the multiple-choice section and the constructed-response section. Your raw scores are converted to a scale of 100 to 300, with the scaled score of 240 being the minimum passing score on each subtest. Both subtests must be passed in order to pass the full exam.
Generally, it takes around two to three weeks after the last day of the examination period before you receive your test results.
Check out Mometrix's Flashcards
Get complex subjects broken down into easily understandable conceptsGet Your Flashcards
How many questions are on the AEPA Principal exam?
There are 104 questions on the exam.
How long is the AEPA Principal exam?
The total time limit for the exam is 7 hours (3.5 hours per subtest).
What is the passing score for the AEPA Principal exam?
To pass the exam, you must achieve a scaled score of at least 240.
How much does the AEPA Principal exam cost?
The examination fee is $140 per subtest.